1998 Explorer 4WD Eddie Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Washington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer SOHC 4.0L
Callsign
Suuuu Woooop
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 98 explorer eddie bauer 4wd with 188,244 miles. I got it for dirt cheap. When I got it, I noticed the abs light was on. But the car was undriveable due to having no tags. So I got it towed home. Once I got my tags, I cranked it up checked all the bells and whistles. And everything was in working order. ABS light still on. Put it in drive and proceeded to head to work. There was a horrific grinding noise and then the car started bucking like a horse. So I got back in my parking space and sat there for a minute. My coworker who part times as a mechanic. I asked him to drive it and see what he thinks is the issue. When he drove it, the grinding sound was still there, but no bucking. Can anyone point me in the right direction on diagnosing this issue. Another piece of info is, the car sat for about 2-3 months before I purchased it. I dont know anything about cars. So if my lingo is off, blame it on my ignorance.

Thank you in advance,
A total novice.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SOHC or OHV engine?

If it is the SOHC the timing chains could be toast.

That grinding concerns me, sitting still is there a rattle from the engine bay?

SOHC or OHV engine?

If it is the SOHC the timing chains could be toast.

it is the SOHC version. Is that expensive to repair?

That grinding concerns me, sitting still is there a rattle from the engine bay?
no the grinding is only when in drive. in reverse, it was smooth.

check your wheel hubs in the front its a all in one unit that has wheel bearings and abs senor built in

Hey everyone. Turns out, one of my rear calipers is stuck, and the bucking is coming from a bad transfer case. (insert screaming face when I looked up the price of just the part.) What would you do if you were me?

Check the tires, they have to be the identical diameters, not mismatched wear tires. That kills the transfer case.

Fix the tires, change the TC fluid, all fluids and filters, and then test it again.

I thought that the killing the transfer case only applied to the 5.0 AWD?

The automatic 4WD also engages the front drive shaft when the tires are different sizes. It will sense the speed difference of the tires(ABS sensors), and engage the clutch inside the TC. I don't know how much abuse that clutch can take before it fails, but that is inside the TC.

It's still best to be sure the tires are the same actual diameter, and change the TC fluid if it hasn't been lately, and retest it. Don't condemn anything until you know it has good fluid and the right tires.

Back