2001 4.0 skips, sputters under acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 4.0 skips, sputters under acceleration

GaTrucker

Reaction score
City, State
Macon, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 exployer sport
My exployer has been running fine, went to store come out it started rite up but when i put it in gear and went to accelerate it just skips,sputters and finally cuts off. Revs up in pary but real slow and onlly about 3 to 4k rpm's. Engine lite is also on I ckeck map and it was clean and all cylinders are firing(pulled each wire off). Does anyone know what I should check. I made it home by barely giving it any throttle it ran about 70 coming home but if i tried to accelerate normally it skips and sputters.seams to be getting worse. Thanks in.advance for any help i have handicap wife and we really need it fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It won't run good enough to take to parts store for them to scan when I try to accelerate it skips, sputters and cuts off i was lucky to make it home. I checked it today same thing except after it idles for a minute or so it shuts off.

I bought a fuel pressure gauge and it holds 65 lbs. Changed fuel filter, cleaned map again, checked firing on each cylinder by pulling wires one at a time nothing helped. Gone try to get scanner tomorrow. Now it won't idle long before it shuts off. Unplugged map sensor still runs the same could it be bad.

This is beginning to sound bad, is it making a rattling noise? Like marbles in a steel can?

Turned out to be blown fuse under hood #13 go figure that.

4X4 Motor fuse? Power Distribution Box #13 (20A)

^ I'm seeing pwr dist box fuse 13 is 15A
Heated Oxygen Sensor, EGR Vacuum
Regulator, EVR Solenoid, Camshaft Position
(CMP) Sensor, Canister Vent Solenoid

Question is, why did it blow? Maybe an intermittent short in the wiring somewhere...

Oh, sport. I just didn't see how the 4x4 fuse would cause this, though let's wait and see if it continues to run well after the fuse swap. It'll be great if that's all it took.

Back