sputtering + loss of power when engine warm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sputtering + loss of power when engine warm

silky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport
hey guys,

Let me first start off by saying this problem only starts when the engine reaches operating temperature. Before that, there are no problems.

So cruising on the highway today at abouto 60mph I went to pass a dude and when I hit the gas, the engine made a sputtering sound and accelerated but it was a slow acceleration. There is no problem when cruising, only when a fair amount of accelerator pedal is pressed. \

What does this sounds like? I am leaning towards a bad spark plugs, what do you guys think?

thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do I check it? I am guessing I should pick up a scan tool and see if there are any codes. Oh, and the fuel filter and fuel pump are about 6 months old.

I would agree with the recommendation to clean your MAF and replace your fuel filter. Also, I would add cleaning your idle air control valve to the list. I completed all three recently on my X achieved a vast improvement in how it ran and started.

Idle air control valve will only show problems at idle, not when your on the gas.
Do clean the MAF, check the fuel filter, might want to check the fuel pressure too.
How long has it been since the engine was tuned up? Plugs could be shot, wires too.

wires have to be about 25,000 miles, same with wires.

if there was a problem with the fuel filter/pressure, wouldn't it be worse when the engine is cold?

ok, well i think it may have been bad gas. I have now burned through all of that gay and refilled and the problem seems to have gone away.

will do!

I test it everytime I get on the highway....it seems like it happens more in high throttle, lo load situations.

Back