• Register Today It's free!

2002 Air conditioner question

geojag

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I have found several threads on a similar problem, and followed what advice I could find, but have yet to solve the problem.

When I turn the air conditioner on for any amount of time, water appears on both sides in the front, more so on the driver's side. I am certain it is water and not coolant. I found the evaporate drain (squarish tube) in the trans tunnel and blew it out with compressed air the best that I could, and water started to drip from the drain. However, after the air runs a while, it continues to leak inside. I have tried cleaning the drain several times, it does drain water to the outside, but also to the inside. Is there a gasket on the evaporate pan that could be bad?

The blend door sticky seems to be a great start for tearing into it to check out the internals, I was just hoping there was some way to avoid that.

Edit: I will add that this seems to be a recurring problem with this particular vehicle. The Carfax report has "AC/heating system checked" 5 times, I didn't think anything of it when I saw that but now with the leak, makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Back