2002 explorer vs 2000 explorer off-road ability | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer vs 2000 explorer off-road ability

i do have to say though, that picture on your website of you driving up over that massive rock is impressive.. the IRS does eleviate alot of worries with dragging pumpkins over obstacles. very nice website btw.

Thanks, the site is a work in progress.
And you may actually be quite surprised with what a little lift and some bigger tires can do for a 3rd gen, next step for me, besides the next 5 inches of lift is lockers front and rear.

Eaglekeeper61,
I'd love to be able to help you with that question.. but to be honest, I just ignore gas prices and mileage..., no point in putting mud tires on a rig, and jacking it up, if you're worried about fuel economy. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, here is what I gather so far.... gen 1's are easist to modify and maybe the best off-roaders but have bad road manners. gen 2's are in most ways similar to the 1's but better road manners. gen 3's have great road manners and are at least decent off-roaders provided you don't rock climb (I don't).

So, here is my next question, what kind of gas mileage are you all getting?

After 1 week with the 4.6, I'm getting about the advertised 14/20. My 98...not so much. But it has issues.

im fairly new to owning an explorer, and i do own a 3rd gen... and im very pleased at how well it does offroad, im not really into serious mudding - i like doing trails personally, but my 3rd gen does great for what i drive it through...

but my statement is one sided, i havent had a chance to compare a 1st or 2nd gen.

either way i will be getting another explorer in the future lol

Danny

OK, here is what I gather so far.... gen 1's are easist to modify and maybe the best off-roaders but have bad road manners. gen 2's are in most ways similar to the 1's but better road manners. gen 3's have great road manners and are at least decent off-roaders provided you don't rock climb (I don't).

So, here is my next question, what kind of gas mileage are you all getting?

I own a 93 stock and got 11 mpg (havent touched the thing since i bought my 05) Than my 05 v6 xlt got 15.5 but now with 3in lift and 265/75-16 tires i get 12.5mpg (the drop is most likely due to me needing to re-gear my truck to compensate the new tires)

Im only 18 and not that mechanically inclined but if its up to me BUY A 3RD GEN there great and Roadbullys lift only makes them better

I own a 93 stock and got 11 mpg (havent touched the thing since i bought my 05) Than my 05 v6 xlt got 15.5 but now with 3in lift and 265/75-16 tires i get 12.5mpg (the drop is most likely due to me needing to re-gear my truck to compensate the new tires)

Im only 18 and not that mechanically inclined but if its up to me BUY A 3RD GEN there great and Roadbullys lift only makes them better

Dude, it does not matter that you are 18. You keep saying that like it means your opinion is not valid. You own a 3rd gen and drive it so you know as much about them as most people.

Dude, it does not matter that you are 18. You keep saying that like it means your opinion is not valid. You own a 3rd gen and drive it so you know as much about them as most people.

I'm 21... age doesn't matter, it's the amount of knowledge.

as far as gas mileage, I also get the advertised 14/20....can squeek out 22-23 if I don't use A/C and set cruise @ 58-60.

yea bro age doesnt mean anything... im 18 also, and no one cares. we are all here for one common reason - WE ARE EXPLORER ENTHUISASTS...

didnt mean to get on the band wagon with the age bit, but lets get back to the TOPIC at hand, this thread is quite interesting to hear what people have to say about what gens they own or prefer

Danny

Youngsters, haha :) I'm 41... You guys do more with your vehicles than I ever will. You also know more about how they function. My son is 18 and handles his Sport and my XLT like they have always been his... Viva la juventud! Your youth makes your opinions more valuable than someone who bought the vehicle ONLY to carry kids, groceries and hardware supplies. IMO.

All is was trying to say is im 18 and Dont know much at all about the mechanical parts of the truck. i know my opinion is valid, i was trying to get the point across that i love the truck for many reasons but im just a kid and dont know a hole lot about the truck.

But whatever Im done in this thread if all you guys want to blast me like that.

I don't think anyone was blasting you Chris. The way I read into was that your doing a good job with your truck, you know just as much about it as the next guy does, and that whether your 18 or 81, your opinion counts.

And thanks for posting those side view pics bro, your truck looks awesome!!! Keep up the good work and stick with this thread, we need 3rd Gen guys around that are actually out there doing it!

I don't think anyone was blasting you Chris. The way I read into was that your doing a good job with your truck, you know just as much about it as the next guy does, and that whether your 18 or 81, your opinion counts.

I agree Chris. He wasn't trying to be down on you at all. He was giving you props. :thumbsup:

I bet you could take a stock 3rd gen just about anywhere you could take a stock B2.
Um, no.

Out of the 3 gens, 1st gen is hands down the best for off-roading, followed by second gen and 3rd gen trailing that. 1st gen also have the strongest front axle.

Nobody is blasting you...

All is was trying to say is im 18 and Dont know much at all about the mechanical parts of the truck. i know my opinion is valid, i was trying to get the point across that i love the truck for many reasons but im just a kid and dont know a hole lot about the truck.

But whatever Im done in this thread if all you guys want to blast me like that.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Youngsters, haha :) I'm 41... You guys do more with your vehicles than I ever will. You also know more about how they function. My son is 18 and handles his Sport and my XLT like they have always been his... Viva la juventud! Your youth makes your opinions more valuable than someone who bought the vehicle ONLY to carry kids, groceries and hardware supplies. IMO.

hehehe...

My mounty is my first vehicle i've ever owned/driven daily. My mom drove it once and she cannot understand how I drive it so easily and swiftly; she goes "I don't know how you drive that thing the way you do, it's so top heavy".

I can actually park/manuver my 03 mounty easier then my stepdaughter's (yes, I have 3 stepdaughters) 05 elantra (HATE that car).

oh?

Um, no.

Out of the 3 gens, 1st gen is hands down the best for off-roading, followed by second gen and 3rd gen trailing that. 1st gen also have the strongest front axle.

1. Disagree
2. Agreed *I don't know about the axle, so I'll agree on this one too*:salute:

Well I owned a 93 for 2 years (no mods the truck body was in horrrible shape), but the truck seemed like it would be an awesome off-roader!

I just sold the truck for 150 bucks to the junk yard

Neways i bought my 05 used earlier this year and have done several mods to it, and from the little off roading im done it seems good, just look what RB has done( a cheep and prefect route to lft the truck):thumbsup:

I strongly believe the 3rd gens have great potential, it just requires a bunch of enthusiats and some great fabrication skills. ex. Donner jcuz, RB

(I still have a few mods to work on this winter cause me and my GF and buddys of mine are headin to Colorado in May for about 2 weeks)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back