2002 explorer vs 2000 explorer off-road ability | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer vs 2000 explorer off-road ability

Just a side note: My 3rd and I have gone through Blue Canyon with aftermkt tires only. There were no issues once I introduced better ATs. If anyone knows North and South Lake Tahoe, been through it during feet of snowfall - on roads CalTrans didn't clear. 3rd gens can do quite a bit of work off road... The arms are not getting caught up on rocks and tree limbs... Maybe a few years ago we could have said 3rd gens are limited, but not anymore - and they are beautiful on road too - limited only in rock crawling - how many people rock crawl? Chances are the 3rd gen is perfect for what the average "offroader" does - recreational area access... Great in Winter. I'm not an offroader - meaning I don't need 1st gen capabilities... but my 3rd gen can take me where I choose to go. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dittos!

The 3rd gen is not designed for serious off roading but it is not the slouch you might think it is. The rear independent suspension actually increased ground clearence at the rear differential. The lowest point on them is at the control arms. As long as you know this and drive a little differently it is not an anchor. You can get a lift kit pretty cheaply from a guy on this forum. Go to the modified section and you will read all about it and see pictures. Or just check out his website. My 3rd gen has the auto 4x4 option and a limited slip in the rear. It goes in the snow better than anything else I have owned. I have had several 4x4s.

http://www.roadbully-offroad.com/

You nailed it! :thumbsup:

I have had a lot of 4x4 vehicles:

2001 Nissan Xterra
2000 Toyota Tundra TRD
2003 Ford Escape
1999 Dodge Durango
1990 Jeep XJ
1992 Jeep XJ
1994 Isuzu Rodeo
1990 Nissan Hardbody Pickup
1993 Toyota T100
1988 Nissan Hardbody Pickup
1986 Dodge D50 Pickup

I like my 3rd Gen Explorer as good or better than any of them. The Xterra was a really good car but it was not as comfortable as the Explorer. In the light off roading I do the Explorer handles it as well as any of them did. Obviously some of them would do better if things got really gnarly.

For those purposes, a 3rd gen would do fine... I would recommend an 03-05, or a 2nd gen. The tires you choose will make a huge difference in how your vehicle handles, this goes for all gens.

Why not an 02? It has been 6 years now, surely the bugs have been worked out. My current X is a very early 91 and it has been mostly trouble free, couple of items have worn out, like the tps and the alternator, but it is a awesome truck and has never let me down. Maybe I should just take the money I'd spend on the second X and improve my current one.

Since you brought up tires, what type would you recommend?

:) You have to research 02s here to make the decision to buy. From what has been written, the 02 had many flaws - later 02 vehicles had the bugs worked out, but which ones did not? No bias against 02s, just much has been said about them here -

Tires depend on where you live, what you'll be doing with them most of the time, temperatures, cost, size, noise... all factors that change from state to state... but I'd recommend a solid AT.

I've noticed that no one yet has mentioned what has caught me up many times in my 2nd Gen- shock mounts. The shock mounts are in the middle between the pumpkin and the wheel and they hang lower than the IRS does. After having owned and wheeled a 2nd gen, I really prefer my 3rd gen. Its bigger, more comfortable and is awesome on road, but I wouldn't be afraid to wheel it (once I get my RoadBully spacers and my 32's on it). My 2nd gen wasn't great offroad until I lifted it and bolted on bigger, better tires. Why should the 3rd gen's get slammed for needing the same things?

I've noticed that no one yet has mentioned what has caught me up many times in my 2nd Gen- shock mounts. The shock mounts are in the middle between the pumpkin and the wheel and they hang lower than the IRS does. After having owned and wheeled a 2nd gen, I really prefer my 3rd gen. Its bigger, more comfortable and is awesome on road, but I wouldn't be afraid to wheel it (once I get my RoadBully spacers and my 32's on it). My 2nd gen wasn't great offroad until I lifted it and bolted on bigger, better tires. Why should the 3rd gen's get slammed for needing the same things?

I would have mentioned that type of stuff if I would have ever owned a 2nd gen. I just know that after the vehicle I was driving for work (95 X Sport), I would never want to own something from that era. The motor did not have any power and it handled horribly in the snow (I know short wheelbase, but still).

I would have mentioned that type of stuff if I would have ever owned a 2nd gen. I just know that after the vehicle I was driving for work (95 X Sport), I would never want to own something from that era. The motor did not have any power and it handled horribly in the snow (I know short wheelbase, but still).

In my driveway currently I have a 98, 03 and an 05. The 98 is on its way out. It was fun, it was capable and I loved it, but the 3rd gen is so much more. Like has been mentioned prior, unless your into heavy offroading or rockcrawling, the 3rd gen is worth taking a look at. I would never go back, and I looked at a lot before deciding on an 05 rather than a 99-01 to replace the 98. But like anything in life, to each their own.

coilsprings and/or road bully spacers + good tires such as dueler revo's or terra grapplers = fine for your needs.

I've tackled countless 2ft deep flooded areas in my stock AWD with those awful BFG rugged trails with no issues at all.

and someone tell RoadBully these aren't off roading rigs....I'm sure he'll have another opinion

I've quite enjoyed my 02' so far, it's been very solid, and has done anything I've asked it offroad.
Now that I've removed my sway bar links, the tires stay planted quite a bit better than stock.
I feel it's a great platform, and is something we can build on as we go here.
Anyone saying a 3rd gen is damned to being a pavement queen, I beg to differ.
If you've got a 1st or 2nd gen, enjoy it, but don't do any less with your 3rd gen. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Ben

Anecdotal evidence is not very compelling. I have seen lots of 1st and 2nd gen Explorers get stuck. In my old development a guy in a second gen crossed up and slid off in a ditch in his 2nd gen (snow day). I pulled up and stopped in my Hardbody and he warned me not to try the hill or risk certain death. I put her in second and walked right up with street tires. Driver skill is a definite factor. I have saw several 1st gens up to the frame rails in the sand at Cape Hatteras. Anything can get stuck. I stuck my Xterra one time on the beach because I forgot to put it in 4wd......

A 3rd gen is so much better on the road than most other SUVs. I almost bought an 05 f150 recently and it did not drive nearly as well as my Explorer.

Title Change

Just a thought, but maybe this thread should be re-named Gen Vs. Gen...

Gen vs Gen.... too funny.... I am going to go look at a gen 3 X EB tomorrow, time permiting. I will have to admit though, I am still confussed, but does the formula of more room + more stuff + 4wd or AWD + dirt trails + 2 kayaks + water + girlfriend that loves the out-of-doors = gen 3 explorer? Or just updating the gen 1 explorer?

but does the formula of more room + more stuff + 4wd or AWD + dirt trails + 2 kayaks + water + girlfriend that loves the out-of-doors = gen 3 explorer?

It doesn't at all unless you want more room + more stuff + 4wd or AWD + dirt trails + 2 kayaks + water + angry girlfriend + rain storm = stuck at the lake or river

First 3 gens...

Gen vs Gen.... too funny.... I am going to go look at a gen 3 X EB tomorrow, time permiting. I will have to admit though, I am still confussed, but does the formula of more room + more stuff + 4wd or AWD + dirt trails + 2 kayaks + water + girlfriend that loves the out-of-doors = gen 3 explorer? Or just updating the gen 1 explorer?

It doesn't at all unless you want more room + more stuff + 4wd or AWD + dirt trails + 2 kayaks + water + angry girlfriend + rain storm = stuck at the lake or river

I've owned all 3 gens... bought each one brand new (leased the first). No matter which one you get you will have a lot of fun with your plans - you will have ample room and power from any 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gen you buy... ;)

Ive got an 05 xlt with a 3in RoadBully lift kit and 265/75r16 pro comp muds. And the clearance is unbelievable, i cant wait till the first snowfall cause im sure im gunna be able to climb over snow banks:thumbsup:

room + more stuff + 4wd or AWD + dirt trails + 2 kayaks + water + girlfriend that loves the out-of-doors = gen 3 explorer? Or just updating the gen 1 explorer?

then you gotta ask yourself.. do you want a truck payment? maybe im the only one with limited finances here but that was a big determining factor for me when deciding which explorer to build upon. and if you do decide on a newer explorer you might want to hold on to your first gen and put some money in to it, youd be surprised how far a little money goes to make a first gen more capable.

I did mean to mention that if your Explorer is still running good and getting you 20MPG even with 209,000 miles on it than keep it. On the OHV engines 209,000 isn't really a whole lot of mileage. It's not worth much at all to sell, but if it's still serving you well than it's worth a lot more to you to keep it.

I did mean to mention that if your Explorer is still running good and getting you 20MPG even with 209,000 miles on it than keep it. On the OHV engines 209,000 isn't really a whole lot of mileage. It's not worth much at all to sell, but if it's still serving you well than it's worth a lot more to you to keep it.

My first gen explorer is NOT going away regardless of what I decide to do from the standpoint of getting or not getting a newer one, I am mostly wanting to get rid of my 97 grand prix and have something that I can use as a daily driver, but not pile a bunch of miles on the 91. Anyway, still debating the issues....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "formula" could very easily = a 3rd gen.
a few hundred dollars worth of tires, and a bit of lift, and you've got something that won't be stopped by a rainstorm,or a little mud on a trail and still has plenty of room to keep the grilfriend happy in the back if stranded. ;)

Back