2003 4.0 V6 having overheating problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 4.0 V6 having overheating problems

robotnik

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0L V6
Hi, my explorer has been having trouble this summer with overheating and I'm not sure whats causing it.

About 4 months ago it got in a rear end collision which broke the headlight header panel, but that has since been fixed. About a month later, the water outlet cracked at the seams while driving on the highway, but that was fixed as well.

And now for the past few months I have been dealing with overheating issues. The first time it happened the check gauge light came on and the oil temperature gauge was all the way up. When I pulled over the radiator fluid in the reservoir was bubbling and was leaking out from under the cap. A neighbor told me it was probably because I filled it almost to the top with radiator fluid. So I just filled it back up and the car ran fine for another few weeks.

Then it happened again while driving, with the check gauge light coming on and the oil temperature gauge all the way up, and radiator fluid bubbling and leaking out the cap. So this time I replaced the clutch for the fan and replaced the thermostat in the water outlet with one which opens at an even lower temp to see if that would help with the overheating.

I thought that fixed the problem since I noticed I could now hear a roaring like sound from the car when I accelerated, so I thought it must have been the clutch and that the problem had been solved.

Fast forward a few weeks later and again, same problem happened, though I noticed I could not hear the fan sound like I had before.

So now I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. Would it be worth getting an electric fan conversion kit, since it seems like the fan could be the problem. I'm also wondering if it could also be something else, like the pump. Is there any way to test if thats working correctly or not? Anyone else have any other ideas of what might be causing the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have the water pump checked.

Replace the cap on the overflow bottle. It may not be holding proper pressure.

Mine did the same thing, it ended up being a stuck thermostat. It was intermittent at first, temp went up, light came on, then it dropped right away. Then when I was pulling the camper out of storage the damn thing ended up just sticking closed on the way home. Overflow tank started pouring over, quite a mess.

if it overheats on idle/park then you have an issue with the fan, at highway cruising speed the clutch fan is disengage.
When it overheats is the A/C on? if it does then the AUX fan is not probably working. If it overheats again try turning on the heat to max and see if it cools down.
How old is the water pump?

Thermostat first, then water pump

Back