2004 Limited V8 To sell or not to sell... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Limited V8 To sell or not to sell...

schach23

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have lurked behind the scenes on the board since I first bought my X 3.5 years ago. Lots of great stuff. First learned about the ring and pinion whine problem shortly after purchase. Been dealing with it since, but now it seems the noise is getting worse (or I am just sick of it!). I also think my rear wheel bearings are going. Here is the dilemma: I have only 79K miles on her, she is in great condition with every option except buckets and rear entertainment. Any chance in selling it or would everyone who looks at it and drives it be worried about the rear end noise? Dealers are only saying they would give me ~6500 on trade in. They are going for more with private party sales. Should I try to fix it and try to sell it outright? Hopefully I could find a fellow X owner who understands the rear diff whine problem these X's have.

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I was you fix it & keep it if everything else is good.

We have 108k on our 04 and that's the most I have put on a vehicle in decades. She has a lot of good miles ahead of her yet. Giving her to my son as soon as he is old enough.

Keep yours and either drown out the noise with the stereo or put a new ring and pinion in her.

We have 108k on our 04 and that's the most I have put on a vehicle in decades. She has a lot of good miles ahead of her yet. Giving her to my son as soon as he is old enough.

Same here almost to the same miles too. If you can do the work yourself i'd look for a JY diff, there's got to be a bunch out there. Can't beat no payments.

I'm at 210K on mine. Whine has been present for about 150K miles after I got it replaced at 30K miles. Gonna keep driving it until it goes completely bad. Good news is that it doesn't really get THAT much louder over time.

Back