2010 Ford Explorer Sync upgrade from 3.01 to 4.6 -- Worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Ford Explorer Sync upgrade from 3.01 to 4.6 -- Worth it?

Cameron58

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Exp Eddie Bauer 4.0l
My main concern is sometimes these things create more problems than they fix. Is it worth it/safe to update to 4.6 from 3.01? It's the 4.0L V6 model too if that matters. I have the basic Sync package without the touchscreen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m a little confused. I didn’t know 4th gens without touchscreens had sync systems. Is the head unit with the green 2 line display in the middle a sync unit?

If you are trying to upgrade to a newer sync I’d recommend an aftermarket swap instead. Probably cheaper and better features. Just go on Crutchfield and search for some double DIN headinits.

I’m not too familiar with Sync, but from my limited experience, an aftermarket touchscreen swap would serve you better than OEM. Probably a lot cheaper too.

Why do you want to upgrade? Any specific features in mind?
You're misunderstanding (I should have been clearer in the title). I'm not looking to UPGRADE. I'm looking to perform the SYNC system software update as recommended by ford. My current software version is 3.01 and they say that 4.6 is available.

I thought that might be the case so I edited my reply to try to sort out my confusion, but you got to it before I could.

I’m not very knowledgeable about sync, but from a quick google search I learned people like v4.6 but a lot of people are having trouble installing it. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

I thought that might be the case so I edited my reply to try to sort out my confusion, but you got to it before I could.

I’m not very knowledgeable about sync, but from a quick google search I learned people like v4.6 but a lot of people are having trouble installing it. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Thanks!

I did it, to be honest I didn't really notice any improvement. But I usually try to stay current

I have the basic Sync with factory non-touchscreen head unit too. I tried to do the Sync update using a USB drive per instructions, but it wouldn’t work. Chatted with Ford and learned that the Sync upgrade for my 2009 has to be done by dealer....for a cost. So I said forget it. What i have seems to work fine.

Back