• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Limited slow heat

Bhuynh

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Limite
With the temperature dropping below -20 degrees here in Winnipeg, I have noticed that my heater takes a while to blow hot air. This includes warming the Explorer for 5 mins and driving another 5-8 min. I have adjusted the heater to HI and by the time I get to work, the air is only moderately warm.

Does anyone else notice that their heat takes a while to heat up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Compared to our Subaru, yes. And don't let me get started on the slow seat heaters, again! ;)
I could be wrong, but I think the Subaru has an aluminum block and the Ford is an iron block. It may be that the iron block just takes a lot longer to heat up. Just a guess.

Do you cover part of the intake/front grill during the Winter?

With the temperature dropping below -20 degrees here in Winnipeg, I have noticed that my heater takes a while to blow hot air. This includes warming the Explorer for 5 mins and driving another 5-8 min. I have adjusted the heater to HI and by the time I get to work, the air is only moderately warm.

When you say "adjusted heater to HI" are you referring to the fan speed? If so, that will only increase the volume of air not the temperature of it. One thing that could cause a delay in the air heating up would be if the thermostat opened too early allowing only moderately heated water to flow. You can always have the dealer check the services that have been performed on the vehicle before you got it. The heat should begin being close to optimum after about 10 minutes if driving from reading another post. I always have my Climate system set on 'Auto' and very, very rarely have to adjust anything unless I want direct heat to the windshield for ice/defogging etc.

Peter

When you say "adjusted heater to HI" are you referring to the fan speed? If so, that will only increase the volume of air not the temperature of it. One thing that could cause a delay in the air heating up would be if the thermostat opened too early allowing only moderately heated water to flow. You can always have the dealer check the services that have been performed on the vehicle before you got it. The heat should begin being close to optimum after about 10 minutes if driving from reading another post. I always have my Climate system set on 'Auto' and very, very rarely have to adjust anything unless I want direct heat to the windshield for ice/defogging etc.

Peter

Sorry, I was unclear about that. I set the temperature to "HI", which I believe is after 29.5, and I do not place anything to cover the grill.

Sorry, I was unclear about that. I set the temperature to "HI", which I believe is after 29.5, and I do not place anything to cover the grill.
I wasn't sure if that was what you meant. Setting it higher won't increase the air temperature that the fan is blowing. It just means that the fan will run longer/faster to achieve that temperature in the cabin. It's the same as the heating system in the house. I just completed a short run to the store and the fan began to run faster after about 6 minutes and the air being blown was very warm, almost hot. Prior to that the fan was barely running. Like I mentioned, I leave mine on 'Auto' and my cabin temperature setting is 22 C. Outside today it was -1 C.

Peter

I have 2015 limited, no problem with heat, however has only been down to -10. When I remote start, all electric seats turn on along with front and back full heat mode. ( I know the dual cool and heat type seat are not very good during winter, My seats will burn your butt.

Hi, It might be worth while to have a mechanic check and see if the proper thermostat is installed in the engine. Just my 2 cents

Back