2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21

I'm kinda in the same boat as Gman with it being a possibility of going. I'm taking a 1 week family beach vacation the beginning of June and just might not have the availability. I'm self employed and loaded with work so I need to keep my business and family priorities first.

Not to mention I have made no headway on the Ranger in the past months. Got a pile of tube for sliders and bumpers, new coilover springs, rear spring mounts and new limit strap setup just collecting dust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Atlas and my hydraulic steering should be arriving late next week.. still not sure if I'll have the tons under the rig for this, I'm at the point where all the stupid little things are adding up to lots of money I shouldn't be spending.

The person that was going with, and towing my rig to this, has dropped out.

That means I can't beat on the rig as much, as it will need to be able to get there & back on it's own power. The 94 has over 250k on the engine, and expecting it to go 9 hours one way, wheel, then get back, is asking a lot of it. Someday, I will have a tow pig & trailer, but not in time for this trip, so it is what it is.

This also means I have to pack the camping gear, as we were planning on splitting a cabin. This also means more tools loaded in the rig. I need to adjust the suspension to accommodate all the added weight.

The person that was going with, and towing my rig to this, has dropped out.

That means I can't beat on the rig as much, as it will need to be able to get there & back on it's own power. The 94 has over 250k on the engine, and expecting it to go 9 hours one way, wheel, then get back, is asking a lot of it. Someday, I will have a tow pig & trailer, but not in time for this trip, so it is what it is.

This also means I have to pack the camping gear, as we were planning on splitting a cabin. This also means more tools loaded in the rig. I need to adjust the suspension to accommodate all the added weight.

luckily there will be lots of explorers around so im sure if you dont carry a tool someone will have it

Got my fourth tire, good to go!

Updated the list in the first post with those who have commited to going. Still can't believe theres only 5 or 6 of us going. Plenty of time to get your rig together for this if you are on the fence about coming!

Agreed, we could use more members out there with us. There are a lot of members out that way. Maybe we need to ask @Rick to make this a banner a couple times, to grab their attention. I have 4 confirmed rigs and 6 friends joining from my local circle. There is a few others that are maybes right now. A few have dropped out due to various reasons. I am still looking for more to join us.

We are already making plans for group dinners. We will cook pot luck style a couple nights, and all go out one night, Most likely go out on Saturday night, then return for some campfire comradeship. Everybody is invited to join and participate if they wish. Those with cabins and kitchens would be helpful with some of this cooking. :)

I am still searching for one person to tow the rig there & back. If that happens, I might bring the 2nd gen, if it is finished and ready to go. I have secured a double 5th wheel trailer, & a single bumper hitch trailer, just need a good tow rig, and someone willing to go have fun for a few days.

No problem putting up a notice. Just send me a PM with all the info you want in it.

We are considering a hotel in the area. Have not made firm plans but we will be there!

Might have to make my way up from Annapolis to WV for this trip. This would be my first time meeting anyone from the forum. Would I be the only 3rd gen coming out?

Might have to make my way up from Annapolis to WV for this trip. This would be my first time meeting anyone from the forum. Would I be the only 3rd gen coming out?

Be the only 3rd gen that I know of. I never seen a 3rd gen modified and wheeled before, so please do join us! I won't be the only person there with IFS if you do. LOL!
(Add all the under & body armor you can)

Do they have alot of tent sites and do they fill up fast?

The Atlas and my hydraulic steering should be arriving late next week..
Did you install any of these yet?

I would love to go, but can't make a commitment right now.

As of now my friend and I are going to be there. It is an 8 hour drive for me and the earliest I can arrive is 6pm friday. What time is everyone planning on being there? I am assuming Saturday and Sunday is the main wheeling days. If I call and reserve a primitive tent site and tell them I am from ef.com will we be in the same camping area? Thanks and I look forward to meeting everyone!

A few of us will be there by Thursday evening. We need to set up a CB channel for all of us to use. (cough... @Four0Sport ...cough) People can call out for us when they arrive, besides the obvious use. :D

I believe they have unlimited primitive camping, a number of RV sites, & a few cabins/lodges. So unless your tent camping, they can and do run out of spots. As far as grouping goes, :dunno:

We'll arrive late Friday and have opted to stay till Monday morning.

This is coming up fast....looks like I better get to work on the rig!!

Did some quick math and "research"...I'm sure my wife would probably like to stay in a cabin, but no surprise, they're all booked that weekend (luckily she doesn't mind tents :) ) Round trip, with all fees, gas and food, we're looking around $250, heck of a lot less than our trip to Moab last year!

Is there a link somewhere with a trail map? Blackmountainoffroad had a pic of the map, but it was tiny and you can't really make out anything on it....was just curious...I'll be driving the rig down there, so we don't want to do anything completely hard-core, btu I don't mind getting a few bumps and bruises (on the rig of course).

Really getting pumped for this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did they say if they had any lodges open? A group could stay & divide the bill, and be as much as a cabin, depending on which lodge (if any) was available. I would give up the tent for that!

I haven't found anybody with a tow rig to pull the trailer there, so I will be in the same boat as far as hardcore wheeling goes. It's 8.5 hrs one way for me. I did get some info to get the rig back in case of a catastrophic failure, and a ride home from another person in my group going.

Back