• Register Today It's free!

3.93 Gears

skumancer

Reaction score
City, State
Panama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Does anyone know where I could get 3.93 gears for my 98 explorer? Are they easy enough to install so I could do it myself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm using this Tire/Gear calculator: Tire/Gear Calculator

Since my X's orignal tires were P225/70R15SL (radius of 27.4) and the new ones are 31's, the page suggests a new Gear Ratio to compensate. What should I do? I'm just following some posts I've seen and the info from that page.

Actually the New Gear Ratio suggested would be 4.02

help?? :p

What is your current gear ratio? Swapping gears is NOT an easy or cheap proposition.

The calculator page only can compute the numbers. You have to choose an available gear ratio closest to the recommended ratio. Which would be 4.10. :)

Current Gear ratio is 3.55 (Axel code 45) Where could I get the gears?

As far as I know 3.93's are avalible for the 8.8, but not the Dana 35. So if you have a 2wd it would work fine but they are incompatable with a 4x4.

your options then become a 3.73 or a 4.10 ratio

MIne is a 2wd, but aparently I should put 4.10s in...they are better than 3.93 gears...I think...any thoughts???

skumancer said:
MIne is a 2wd, but aparently I should put 4.10s in...they are better than 3.93 gears...I think...any thoughts???

Better? Better for what use?

To compensate for the loss because of the bigger tires (I feel the car is using up way too much gas)

Any thoughts??

I run 31's and I do a lot of highway driving. Its 450 miles from home to school and I go home about every 6 weeks, not to mention I otherwise average about 200 miles a week on the highway as well. I have 3.55's and a manual tranny. I hate it. Having a minimum speed in first gear of about 12 mph and no power is not enjoyable. But I wish I could have something balanced like a 3.93, but for when I do go off road, at least a 4.10 would be desireable. It all depends on your driving style and conditions.

With 31" tires on your '98 you will want to go with 4.10s. 4.10s was the ratio that came standard with the 30" tires in '98. You are going an inch taller so your RPMs will be even slightly lower than a stock '98 with 4.10s and 30" tires (but not really noticeable). 4.10s are the perfect ratio for 30"-32" tires on the '95 and up Explorers. 3.73s are acceptable for 30" tires and were in fact the ratio that Ford went to with the 30" tires around '99 or '00.

I have 30's with 3.55's and a 5-speed on my XL... it has plenty of power... maybe you need some boost :)

Shane

Robert, where could I get 4.10 gears? I would like to at least have an idea of how much they could cost.

Yeah, I also think I DO need some boost ;)

You may want to check out the junkyards. 4.10 was a stock option on Explorers, and you may find a complete axle in a junkyard cheaper than regearing what you have.

Randy's would probably be the most popular place to get gears, but A LOT of other online 4WD retailers sell them. You can also get them on eBay.

Cost. A ring and pinion set is going to run somewhere in the ballpark of $150. A master install kit will run about $80. 90% of the time, a gear swap is NOT a do it yourself job. It requires experience and specialty tools to do properly. Install costs will run anywhere from $150-$300, depending on the shop. I would set aside about $500 to regear your 8.8.

N2MUDN91 said:
I have 30's with 3.55's and a 5-speed on my XL... it has plenty of power... maybe you need some boost :)

Shane

"plenty of power" is relative in each's own view of what they consider plenty. I had a '94 2WD Ranger with 3.55s and a 5-speed manual exept it came with 26" tires. I couldn't imagine ever being happy with 30" tires on it. Whereas it had good acceleration off the line with 26" tires, I think I would have been wanting more if I had ever put 30" tires on it.

Now my Explorer came with 30" tires but 4.10 gears (and an extra 1000 lbs.) yet my Explorer was still .05 seconds quicker in the 60' and .449 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile. If I would have had 30" tires on my Ranger, I would have had time to stop and drink a beer at the end of the track while I waited for my Ranger to catch up :)

skumancer said:
Robert, where could I get 4.10 gears? I would like to at least have an idea of how much they could cost.

Yeah, I also think I DO need some boost ;)

As Robb said, chainging gears is not a DIY job for the untrained. Figure on about $400 - $600 an axle for the gears, rebuild kit and installation per axle. I paid about $1650 to go from 4.10s to 4.56s incuding the differential rebuild kits and a Powertrax No-Slip. The cheapest option would be to try and find an Explorer in a wrecking yard with 4.10s and take both axles. They will likely give you a small amount for your axles as a core charge. Look for an Explorer with a 42 axle code (for open 4.10s) or D2 (for limited slip 4.10s). The axle code can be found on the door sticker inside the driver's door under "axle".

Robert said:
"plenty of power" is relative in each's own view of what they consider plenty. I had a '94 2WD Ranger with 3.55s and a 5-speed manual exept it came with 26" tires. I couldn't imagine ever being happy with 30" tires on it. Whereas it had good acceleration off the line with 26" tires, I think I would have been wanting more if I had ever put 30" tires on it.

Now my Explorer came with 30" tires but 4.10 gears (and an extra 1000 lbs.) yet my Explorer was still .05 seconds quicker in the 60' and .449 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile. If I would have had 30" tires on my Ranger, I would have had time to stop and drink a beer at the end of the track while I waited for my Ranger to catch up :)

Agreed. Mine has plenty of power to comfortably move itself along, but as far as having a comfortable amount of power, mine does not. And this is post-rebuild. So I think my engine has plenty of "boost". I wouldn't dare attempt to tow anything with any amount of significant weight. Nor do I attempt to pass cars, where in most cases it is very safe to do so in my Explorer. I don't trust its lack of power. With 4.10's I know it would act as a totally different vehicle and the power that the engine produces would actually be noticeable. Sorry, this was a slight rant.
Hopefully I will have 4.10's and a rear locker/LS by this winter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So whats my gear ratio if under Axle it sayd D4? I have p235's right now, and will be putting 33's on soon. what ratio would be suitable for me if i do not want to loose a lot of gas milage. i have a 98 X 2wd 4.0L

Back