• Register Today It's free!

4.10 gear swap in 2006 explorer?

Harley McIntyre

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
I was wondering if its possible to swap the 3.55 gears for 4.10 gears in my 2006 eb v8 4wd, ive been looking at gear kits and they all say they are for the mustangs, but they also say they fit independent . So im not sure if those will work, also i cant seem to find any for the front differentials, unless i can use rear gears for the front as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering if its possible to swap the 3.55 gears for 4.10 gears in my 2006 eb v8 4wd, ive been looking at gear kits and they all say they are for the mustangs, but they also say they fit independent . So im not sure if those will work, also i cant seem to find any for the front differentials, unless i can use rear gears for the front as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
4.10 gears were a factory listed option, using axle code 42 (open) or D2 (limited slip). Maybe look at your local junk yard?

Axle Tag Codes for Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco II Axle Identification

I've never seen 4.10s in the 3rd or 4th gens factory. Yes regular 8.8 gears work for the rear but you need super Dana 30 gears for the front I believe.

The top mustang oriented set will work. The 2nd set still requires an install kit. If you Google "diff wizard" you can find more information on your parts needed.

3rd and 4th gens only came with a single option and no limited slip,’as far as I know.

3.55 and 3.73 were available along with l/s in 3rd and 4th gens.

What years were the 4.10’s available? I was hoping to find a set of axles (42) for an easy swap into my 2002.

Your in the same boat as the OP, you must build them as they were not a factory option.

Everything I have read is that there was absolutely no limited slip option on 4th gen explorers. The traction control works at least as well as a limited slip anyway.

Does anyone know if the 3rd gen gears will fit in the 4th gen carrier? I’m wanting to swap the 3rd gen track lock setup into a 4th gen carrier. I’ve got a 1972 Datsun 240z with a tube mount IRS kit that bolts the 4th gen carrier in. I won’t be able to use the traction control (drivetrain is an LS3 TR6060) so I want to use the 3rd gen track lock. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Does anyone know if the 3rd gen gears will fit in the 4th gen carrier? I’m wanting to swap the 3rd gen track lock setup into a 4th gen carrier. I’ve got a 1972 Datsun 240z with a tube mount IRS kit that bolts the 4th gen carrier in. I won’t be able to use the traction control (drivetrain is an LS3 TR6060) so I want to use the 3rd gen track lock. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
As far as I know all the explorers use the ford 8.8in rear end, so it should? But I'm not 100% sure on that

There was a post a few years ago where someone put an FRPP (03/04 cobra) trac loc diff in their 4th gen. If the 3rd gen trac loc is the same as the cobra diff, then it should then fit a 4th gen. Maybe a 2nd gen trac loc will even fit a 4th gen.
I'm only aware of the 3 trac locs for the 8.8. One for 28 spline.one for 31 spline and a 34 spline for the s197 mustang.

Back