• Register Today It's free!

4wd help Please

VGA

Reaction score
City, State
LaCrosse,wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explore
I can not get in to this site (Dead Link Removed) it comes up as You are not authorized to view this page.To bad it was a great site.

I need help finding a new site on how to clean shift motor well I think I do,here is my problem. My auto 94 explorer will not go into 4wd .I push the 4x4 button light comes on next to switch and lights 4x4 on lower dash but does not seem to lock front up.I took hub apart and cleaned ,put atf on for lube .I can not hear anything when I push button, but I can hear what seems to be a grinding noise in hub if I step on gas hard, like it is only engaged part way.
I also pushed low range and can hear the loud clunk and can feel that it is in a lower gear but still no 4x4 up front.
I also turned front drive shaft while in park and on the ground and it moves front tires a little and then stops so I think front auto hubs are working.
I have not tried tapping shift motor yet,but will.I have owned this truck about 2years and have not used 4x4 but once before.

Iam going on trip 23rd and need help soon lots of snow coming.
Thanks for any help you can give me. Vic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It really sounds like your shift motor is working, if it will engage low range. I'll bet the problem is still in your hubs.

I don't think the low range selector and the 4wd high are switched by the shift motor just the 4wd high If I'm reading my haynes manual right .I beleive the low is switched by a cam, so just because it will go in low does not mean the front shaft should turn right?? Thanks

I think you are reading the information about the '95+ control trac t-cases. On the BW 13-54 ('91-'94), all the shifting from 2H-4H and from 4H-4L is controlled by the shift motor. Only way to get it into 4L (or 4H for that matter) without sending power to the front driveshaft is to break the chain or something else inside the transfer case. Are you certain that the front driveshaft is not spinning when in 4L?

Sorry kid just got home and helped me look while applying power and shaft turns in 4x4 but why would it not engage?
From what I can tell everything in hubs look good.Is there supposed to be 3 small pronouned tabs that would turn the cone in hub off a spring and let spline of axle engage spline of the cone? Mine looks like 3 camel humps about 1/2 inch high and smooth.My book does not show a good picture of this is there one on the web that does?

Back