4x4 does not work | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 does not work

rrgone - here's the link where I bought the module:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214290

Its a dealership in Los Vegas Nevada and their service was EXCELLENT! The parts guy I talked to was the one who conferred with their tech and determined that ALL new modules need to be programmed with both the factory specs PLUS any changes relating to your vehicle (tire size, etc.). Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4 X 4 does not work

02 SLS I replaced the CM module with the new model ($167 on internet, Ford Dealer in Nevada). 2 local Ford dealers stated that module did not have to be programmed. Installed module, not programmed, everything working fine Thanks for the information

about programming

That is a bunch of bs...the module is little more than a selenoid to run the select motor in the transfer case...no programming needed,or people changing tire sizes would have to reprogram after each size change..the bad modules are a junk part from a poor parts vendor through ford...reprogramming is prolly just a fancy word for erasing the code and collecting more money.....install the module yourself and enjoy...its a peice of cake.....dont pay ford again for giving you a junk part in the first place...good luck and happy exploring!

4X4 lamps in dash were blinking too

Here's a followup for benefit of future readers. My 4X4 had quit working, plus the 4X4 indicators on the left side of inst. cluster were blinking. On my '02 XLT the indicators would blink 5 times every 2 minutes. I unhooked the neg. battery terminal for about 30 minutes and it cleared the blinking indicators but 4X4 still did not work. So I ordered a new 4X4 module from the web-site noted above by jobewan. Very good telephone support, and the part number for my VIN was 2C5Z7E453A. That's not the same number as is on the module, but it was explained that the number on the module is a Ford Engineering number. Total cost was $150 including shipping. I installed the new 4X4CM this morning and now my 4X4 works perfectly. There's joy in Tucson! :)

Good morning to all.....i have a 2002 xls and my lights for the 4 x 4 on the instrument cluster do not work..i took it to the dealer and they told me i need a new cluster is this true or is there something else i need to be looking at

I also have an 02 XLS. 4WD quit working and ordered the module mentioned above (2C5Z7E453A) from Vegas. It blew fuse 23 (brake/shift interlock) when reconnecting battery. Reinstalled old module and took it to a local dealer and indeed the module was bad but the Vegas dealer sent me the wrong one. Correct part number for my Explorer is 1L2Z7E453A. I gave the Vegas dealer my VIN but they still got it wrong. THe local dealer said the difference in the modules is whether or not the vehicle is equipped with traction control (?)

Buttsy, looks like your truck uses the same 4X4CM as Houselift. I wondered about the difference in part numbers when I ordered my module but so far all is well. I don't *think* I have traction control but I do have the 4.6L V8 XLT Sport Package which includes the Trailer Tow Package. I wonder if that's the difference.

Did the Vegas dealership take the incorrect module back?

4x4 not working on my 02 E/B

Winter is here in Canada and I just tried the 4 wheel drive. Nothing works. No lites at the switch at all. Checked all the fuses.....nothing. From reading this post it appears that maybe the module inside the glove box? .......John

2002 E/B 4x4 problem

Just got off the phone with my local Ford Dealership. I supplied him with the updated module number as indicated previous on this post. After asking me if I am sitting down he hit me with a $400 cdn cost for this module. Of interest is the fact that the updated part number is now TM153. I checked it on directfordparts.com and it comes up at $151.83US which shipped to my door up here in Canada would still come in under $200! Great site!........John

rrgone...will talk to the dealership in the next few days. Of course the policy on electronics is absolutely no returns, which I understand, but given the circumstances you'd think they'd have some sympathy. Not holding my breath. I'll post what they have to say...

I think I may have the same problem on my 2002 XLT. What does the 4X4 module look like? Is it the black box with 2 electronic inputs on the bottom attached to the blower assembly on the left as you look at it? If that's the case my part #'s are different. Mine is 2c54-7h473-bd - if I'm looking at the right part..

Thx.
-Bobber1

Bobber, that's the same part number that was on my original 4X4CM.

I'm having the exact same issue with my '02 Limited as most of you have mentioned here: No 4x4 Auto/High/Low, no indictators lights on the 4x4 controls and only my "4x4 Low" dash light illuminates when I first turn the key on. I removed the 4x4 module and I'm going to order the replacement from the Vegas dealer listed in these posts.

I'm really surprised at how easy this thing is to get to. I pulled in the sides of the glove box to let it open all the way, removed one bolt, swung out the 4x4CM itself and then removed the two screws attaching it to the bracket. If this is the fix, this will be one of the easiest fixes I've done that addressed such a major issue.

The Vegas dealer is taking the module back. The guy who filled my order immediately owned up to his mistake. No BS and many apologies. His mistake cost me several hundred dollars but honesty is worth something. If needed, they'll get my business in the future.

:( Howdy all, I found you guys from the ORR forums, and saw this interesting little post. You all have been describing my problems with my B4000 to a T. I have tried everything down to cleaning the switch, shooting wires and voltages, and taking the shift motor out and cleaning it. I didn't think about it until I saw you had trouble after battery changes, but mine more or less started after I had the batter disconnected for a good while when doing some maintenance. Sigh, I was trying to have to avoid replacing a $200 part. Well, I will check out that site, and since I am in Vegas I may be able to find them in person and save the shipping atleast. And I was this close to taking it to a dealer anyways. Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info, it's taken me so long to find anything usefull on the topic online.

I have an '01 sport with similar problem. The switch quit the other night in the middle of a snowstorm. Lights on the right side of the dash light up briefly at start, but no leds on the switch, and I can't hear anything when I try to switch to 4wd like I could before.
I looked behind the glove box, but this doesn't look like it's going to be easy to get to to replace. I'm seeing a white plastic box with a plug. At least 3 screws, one of which is behind and almost impossible to reach.
Does anyone else have pictures/instructions on how to get to the module on my model. Also, is there any way to test to make sure it's the module before I order one?

I'm a Ford Explorer noob as of 3 weeks ago...and at that time my 4x4 worked, sadly that isn't the case today. :mad:

We got a light snow/rain mixture today and I decided to try my AUTO 4x4 today without success. I then tested my HIGH 4x4, then my LOW 4x4 to no avail. The push-buttons next to the radio do not illuminate and the lights on the far left dash console do not illuminate (only LOW 4x4 when I first start the engine).

All of the indications are that my problem is the '4x4 Module' that has been mentioned throughout this thread. My Explorer is a 2002 XLT v6.

I hate to "waste" $150+ on a part that may or may not be the problem, at the same time I am leary of going to my local Ford dealer or local repair shop to be told that is the case for a charge of $400.

Additionally how do I know which module to order if I do go this route?

Is the module easy to get out the repair/replace?.....I took the glove box down and it appears to just be connected by one screw if I am looking at the correct part.

thanks

rrush: Don't know what the 4X4 module looks like (or even location) on a 2nd gen. Explorer. Did you try posting over in the 1995-2001 forum?

ohio: The module in your Explorer has 2 screws holding it in place. The one in the back is a PITA. I removed the component next to it (temp sensor I think)to get at the rear screw. It took me a couple of hours. You could try to find a used module on ebay or from a junkyard but I wouldn't waste my time on that route. Good luck.

found the difference in the control modules

You get a different module when a neutral tow system is installed. Since its a dealer installed item, it is kept vin specific in their computers. Hope this helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply & to those who posted the link for the parts site from Vegas.

My new module has been ordered and I will post the results once it arrives and is installed. :thumbsup:

Back