4X4 how does it work | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4X4 how does it work

I always wondered about the need to shift into 4X4High at highway speeds. Did you not notice the snow before you needed 4x4?

Full disclosure: I do it all the time.

I usually do it as a precaution if I'm honest. See a white or shiny patch (that doesn't end or goes round a corner) then I press 4x4. I have seen many people come off the road on little to no snow due to black ice. I just like to take precautions. Better to be safe then sorry. As I've noticed the car actually needs to slip before all 4 wheels are activated.

Great Post! Definitely answered all the questions I had about using the 4x4 on my Explorer. :)

This is great info. So I drive a 2002 sport, which is a 2nd gen. It can only be set in 2wd, 4wd auto or 4wd low (no 4wd hi option). Is this the same as the other vehicle types? I mean am I better off just using 4wd auto, and it will switch between 2 and 4 wd as needed? I am living in Africa and the roads are bad, some off road, and even on road it's is gritty and slippy, so I'd like max traction, but I don't want to waste fuel. What do you all recommend?
Also am I ok to switch from 2wd to 4wd auto whil moving?
Thanks.

Back