5.0 Long tube header build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Long tube header build

Been working on a set of Long Tube Headers for the 5.0 in the explorer.

Drivers side is mocked up and ready to be welded up for good.

Header collectors exit on the outside of the frame rail.
AMYSIPHONEPICS763_zpsda11fe1e.jpg
AMYSIPHONEPICS762_zps08d5acf1.jpg
AMYSIPHONEPICS761_zps30823c2f.jpg
AMYSIPHONEPICS760_zps1a6e297d.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys, out of respect to the op, please take this to pm.
This is a great thread on building headers very creatively.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The point of a build thread, IMO, is to get other ideas and expertise involved. When I post projects, I hope other members will tear it apart with detailed info from their experience, or opinion even, wrong or right. I don't have this model, this engine, etc but I watch threads like this to see what is involved and how the obstacles are overcome. Being given this info should never be thought of as an attack but helpful criticism.

Every point brought up has been countered by the OP, showing he had thought of these things. That's how a thread like this should work. I wish people would leave their tender feelings out of the tech related threads. We all learn more that way.

Loving this project btw.

The point of a build thread, IMO, is to get other ideas and expertise involved. When I post projects, I hope other members will tear it apart with detailed info from their experience, or opinion even, wrong or right. I don't have this model, this engine, etc but I watch threads like this to see what is involved and how the obstacles are overcome. Being given this info should never be thought of as an attack but helpful criticism.

Every point brought up has been countered by the OP, showing he had thought of these things. That's how a thread like this should work. I wish people would leave their tender feelings out of the tech related threads. We all learn more that way.

Loving this project btw.

Exactly, creative criticism exactly why i posted this on the site.

I have 351w ideas in my future also, i have designed (well i hope) enough clearance into these headers to run the taller deck height block and still have enough clearance.

Once i pop the 302 with nitrous, 351w + strokerkit + $$$$ is the idea.

I have been researching the 351w stroker swap myself, and what i have found is that you will need a custom oil pan, which opens up the possibility of modifying the pan to make more room for the headers to fit inside the frame rails. I have seen it done and the clearance isnt any worse than your fender exit headers.

Very cool! Any updates? I plan on doing the same but try and stuff them back over the frame. Or clearance the body a few inches to tuck them away from the tires to go over the frame. My Ranger being a prerunner,leaves little room for a 35" at full lock/bump.

Also did you buy a set of j-bends and where from?

looking good! I am curious to see how they turn out? I am looking through all the header threads I can find as I am not satisfied with settling for TMs. The primaries are to small for my build and the quality may very well be exceptional however 800 bucks for a set of headers that are restrictive at best ain't happenin... and I want LTs :D

I have gathered that a ranger steering shaft might help with clearance? I am not a fan of body lifts at all! but a 1" I could live with, also I would be comfortable with some light floor panel/firewall massaging. I want to swap my 01 limited frame out with a 1st gen frame in favor of the ease of the SAS which will be happening and I wouldn't care about notching that frame for clearance either...

Subscribed, hope to see more!

Back