5.0 Long tube header build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Long tube header build

Been working on a set of Long Tube Headers for the 5.0 in the explorer.

Drivers side is mocked up and ready to be welded up for good.

Header collectors exit on the outside of the frame rail.
AMYSIPHONEPICS763_zpsda11fe1e.jpg
AMYSIPHONEPICS762_zps08d5acf1.jpg
AMYSIPHONEPICS761_zps30823c2f.jpg
AMYSIPHONEPICS760_zps1a6e297d.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh god, that steering shaft is gonna suck to put back in once you have it all welded. But hey... I've seen headers with even less space. Looking good so far, especially with the limited space you have. But wait, you are coming down outside of the frame rail? Is that front tube going to clear the power steering pump, or were you doing something different up there? Actually, wait, it might... i think my perspective is just a little off.

How far have you gotten on the other side?

I'll have to remember your thread whenever I see someone asking why no one else makes headers for the 5.0, and insists it would be easy to do.

Oh god, that steering shaft is gonna suck to put back in once you have it all welded. But hey... I've seen headers with even less space. Looking good so far, especially with the limited space you have. But wait, you are coming down outside of the frame rail? Is that front tube going to clear the power steering pump, or were you doing something different up there? Actually, wait, it might... i think my perspective is just a little off.

How far have you gotten on the other side?

I'll have to remember your thread whenever I see someone asking why no one else makes headers for the 5.0, and insists it would be easy to do.

The steering shaft is not a problem, it has 1" clearance on both the 3rd and 4th primary's, when it is unbolted it collapses together and will lay down on top of the motor mount. the header will come directly out without any fight. Outside of the frame rail is the only place to get a 1 5/8 primary tube & 3 inch collector. The exhaust will travel along the outside of the frame and tuck back in behind the cross-member/torsion bars. The pictures are dont show the clearances very well, they were taken real quick with my phone.

No easy way to build these headers. As of now the passengers side has not been started...

Subscribing. I'd like to see how this goes. Keep the pictures coming.

I'm trying to picture in my mind if there are obstacles, but have you considered staying outside the frame and exiting outside the rear tires?

Subscribing. I'd like to see how this goes. Keep the pictures coming.

I'm trying to picture in my mind if there are obstacles, but have you considered staying outside the frame and exiting outside the rear tires?

That would mean putting the cats and mufflers outside the frame, which I assume he would want to avoid (especially given the limited amount of room), and he would have to exit forward of the rear tires to prevent rubbing, which would mean exhaust coming out right under the rear door and just behind the front, which would mean no opening his windows.

That would mean putting the cats and mufflers outside the frame, which I assume he would want to avoid (especially given the limited amount of room), and he would have to exit forward of the rear tires to prevent rubbing, which would mean exhaust coming out right under the rear door and just behind the front, which would mean no opening his windows.

I am going to run a set of cutout's on the outside of the frame but, the exhaust will run along the outside of the frame rails, then turn under behind the transmission cross member, and run out the back like normal.

Progress pictures.

Passengers Side header is done.

Now to send them off to a local welder with a good TIG Setup. My Harbor Freight Pile of **** isnt up to the task.
This truck is going to be more of a weekend cruiser than a daily driver, its already got a built 2WD transmission with a 3800 stall, 373 Gears.

IMG_1336_zps015db73a.jpg
IMG_1335_zps017b84da.jpg
IMG_1334_zps86263f9c.jpg
IMG_1333_zps25761f44.jpg
IMG_1332_zpse35e6cad.jpg
IMG_1331_zps2b012dd2.jpg
IMG_1330_zps95d269ef.jpg
IMG_1329_zpscd7a7f25.jpg
IMG_1328_zps780c4f69.jpg
IMG_1327_zps755788ee.jpg
IMG_1326_zpsa8fb757a.jpg
IMG_1325_zps6f9ccaf5.jpg
IMG_1324_zps5907f432.jpg
IMG_1323_zps4eed9317.jpg
IMG_1322_zpsde2cf9b0.jpg
IMG_1321_zpsfc4d9d43.jpg
IMG_1320_zps86603aef.jpg
IMG_1319_zps6afe5f15.jpg
IMG_1318_zpsc67f6ba2.jpg
IMG_1317_zps3f71eb3b.jpg
IMG_1316_zpsc23c8e98.jpg

I'm looking forward to the finished product, but I do have concerns. Will there be enough room for the tires under hard ( to lock) steering?

Pictures are deceiving, but space in there is tight. I'm just wondering.

I 2nd Turdles concern. I had considered fender exit when i started looking into my 351 swap, but there is no way that my tires would clear them. Given that you arent building an off-road truck you probably have a bit more room, but still not much

I see you're using FCAW - I'd cover up the heads and anything else important (fuel lines too) because FCAW/MIG tends to spatter quite a bit. Flux typically contains various percentages of metal powder, titanium dioxide, silicates, and other compounds - most of which are not very good for cylinder walls and engine internals (besides the filler metal itself).

I love this site!
The **** we do to our trucks. Amazing.

Izwack, I was thinking the same thing.

Find.... Shut up... Seriously.... If I wanted your opinion... I'd ask YOU! Stop hijacking threads.

That's awesome man! So cool to see someone taking on the challenge of headers for an Ex, especially since you're doing it yourself.. Having the headers and pipes run outside the frame rails wouldn't work for someone who wants to offroad and not risk crushing their pipes, but for a street truck that would be really cool. I can actually picture someone walking by an Ex and seeing chrome running along the rails and thinking its a step bar, and then taking a closer look an realizing it's exhaust!

I'm excited to see (and hear) this when it's all done.

Izwack, I was thinking the same thing.

Find.... Shut up... Seriously.... If I wanted your opinion... I'd ask YOU! Stop hijacking threads.

The hell is your problem? I answered your damn question. Don't be a child. You don't want to see my posts, click the ignore button.

Damn kids always get bent out of shape when people give them answers they don't like. Are you seriously still angry because I told you that it wasn't really feasible to produce headers like torque monsters for a lower price? Or are you still angry because I told you that you misunderstood someone's post about stock manifolds. You can't just get angry at every person who doesn't agree with you or doesn't just tell you what you want to hear.

I'm looking forward to the finished product, but I do have concerns. Will there be enough room for the tires under hard ( to lock) steering?

Pictures are deceiving, but space in there is tight. I'm just wondering.

Space is tight, the tires under full lock have 3/4 of a inch clearance, i am running a 20x8 wheel with 245/35/20's. I took the torsion keys out so the truck would sit down on the bump stops to make sure there was enough clearance.

I see you're using FCAW - I'd cover up the heads and anything else important (fuel lines too) because FCAW/MIG tends to spatter quite a bit. Flux typically contains various percentages of metal powder, titanium dioxide, silicates, and other compounds - most of which are not very good for cylinder walls and engine internals (besides the filler metal itself).

The motor in it is just for mock up puropses. Everything will get a good scrubbing before being put back together.

I love this site!
The **** we do to our trucks. Amazing.

Have to agree 100%, everyone has done a small block swap in a s-10, my turn for the explorer. :D

That's awesome man! So cool to see someone taking on the challenge of headers for an Ex, especially since you're doing it yourself.. Having the headers and pipes run outside the frame rails wouldn't work for someone who wants to offroad and not risk crushing their pipes, but for a street truck that would be really cool. I can actually picture someone walking by an Ex and seeing chrome running along the rails and thinking its a step bar, and then taking a closer look an realizing it's exhaust!

I'm excited to see (and hear) this when it's all done.

Im no pro, but i enjoy the challenge of making something myself. First set of headers i have built, i am happy with the fitment, just not the welds/welder. i have upgraded from the gas less wire to a gas setup thought. :thumbsup:

I 2nd Turdles concern. I had considered fender exit when i started looking into my 351 swap, but there is no way that my tires would clear them. Given that you arent building an off-road truck you probably have a bit more room, but still not much

I have 351w ideas in my future also, i have designed (well i hope) enough clearance into these headers to run the taller deck height block and still have enough clearance.

Once i pop the 302 with nitrous, 351w + strokerkit + $$$$ is the idea.

Space is tight, the tires under full lock have 3/4 of a inch clearance, i am running a 20x8 wheel with 245/35/20's. I took the torsion keys out so the truck would sit down on the bump stops to make sure there was enough clearance.

I assume you will have a little more room once you have it sitting on its suspension again, but I would probably also make a heatshield with a good insulator layer between it and the exhaust... That's closer than I would want a hot header to be to my tires, even just for a short time in a turn.

Obie,

He's actually got me thinking about possibilities FOR off road trucks. I'm about to do a 3" body lift, and that means there is another 3" of clearance that the factory never had to play with. Rolling around ideas similar to the OP's, but squeezing down into the gap between the body and frame... Or outside the frame then cross back in between the body and frame.

I know there could be a lot of issues with heat, rattles, etc. Being an offroad truck, I'm also not opposed to the idea of modifying the floor pan to clear it. I want to see how his pipes turn out. I love hearing other ideas.

And Find, that is my problem with your posts. Every thread you've brought up, you immediately squashed the creative ideas of other members, insisting that only YOUR opinion is valid. We are all keenly aware of your opinions by this point, so I am asking that you stop countering other's creative ideas and instead listen and contribute.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kevlar, I'm sorry that hearing facts every now and then crushes your ability to do things you can't do with your truck. You asked why he didn't run it outboard all the way down the truck, I told you that if he wanted to run his emissions equipment like cats and mufflers, there wouldn't be room, and he would have to dump before his wheels, which works for the case of his cutouts when he just wants some wide open off-road exhaust, but not for when he wants to DD it. Whether or not I told you that wouldn't have changed any of that.

Just like the thread where you wanted someone to tell you that the stock manifolds are good and all you needed was a catback to make big power. It wasn't until someone else showed up to post pictures to show you how bad the stock manifolds were that you shut up.

And just like the header buy. You wanted to know why no one produced it for cheaper, I said you guys are seriously underestimating costs, told you what another header company said they would make the headers for that I had contacted myself 8 months prior, and then the OP came in and even verified everything I said with information he got from Al.

Stop confusing fact with opinion. No amount of creativity is changing any of that stuff. I encourage anyone who wants to make a set of headers to do so, but I also remind them that it is a lot of work, it is hard to do, and as this thread illustrates, space is a hell of an issue, so you have to be damn creative to get anything done. I tell people things like this because I don't want them to jump into a project they are going to get in over their heads with and lose money on. It is much better for people to stop and take time to consider everything they do and plan carefully beforehand, even if it stops some people from trying some things. If my posts EVER stop someone from trying, it is someone who wouldn't have succeeded, and wouldn't have had the guts to push through a project when it got tough anyway.

For your other consideration you are talking to, you CAN make it between the frame with a pipe of the size the OP is using, but you have to get creative with the pipe, which means you may have to re-shape it a little. In other words, you oval it out a bit. A 3 inch body lift would give you another half inch or so of clearance though, so you may be able to fit the pipe through without a problem. Even without the lift, this size of a collector might squeeze through, but I would worry about interference problems without solid motor mounts. Another possibility, since long tube headers aren't going to line up with factory exhaust anyway is just to run the primaries down between the frame and put your collectors much further back, but then you will have to lift the engine to install and uninstall them. This, however, is not that uncommon a thing to have to do for anyone who has put headers in an old muscle car.

Back