Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5.0 V8 2001 Sport Trac for sale

Discussion in 'Used Ford Explorer - Ranger and all other Vehicles' started by danlong, February 20, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. danlong

danlong Active Member

City, State:
      Gainesville, FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Sport Trac 2wd - V8
      After purchasing a new F150 a few weeks ago I've decided to sell my Sport Trac and move on to some other projects. Here are the details....

The truck is a 2001 Sport Trac 2WD (Job 2) that was pretty well loaded with leather, sunroof, power driver's seat, Pioneer 6-disc w/subwoofer, cruise control, keyless entry, power windows/locks, and tilt wheel. I purchased it in March of 2014 at 193K miles with a blown head gasket and swapped in a 5.0 V8 from the 2000 Explorer that I had been driving which had just under 134K miles on it. I had been very busy with work that year and didn't actually get around to the swap until December, but it only took a week or so once I started. Since the swap I've put about 45K miles on this truck, driving it all over the country, as I travel a lot for work and it has never let me down. I've been as far as Nevada, and I regularly travel from Florida to Tennessee/Kentucky/Ohio/Maryland in it.

I've only come across a handful of people who have actually done this swap, and in my opinion, mine is one of the nicest/closest to OEM that I've seen. The 2000-2001 Explorer was the closest match to the Sport Trac possible, and allowed me to avoid having to modify the fuel system at all. Also, since I had a complete donor vehicle available, I was able to just swap in any stock parts needed instead of trying to make the original Sport Trac parts work. Almost everything between the two trucks bolted up with exception of the wiring harness to the motor and the driveshaft due to length.

For the wiring harness, I went to the junkyard and chopped off about 18" of harness from another truck, as the problem was that the connection location had changed and would no longer reach. I cut the end from my 42-pin connector and then soldered and heatshrunk every single connection, then rewrapped it in loom and routed it as the Explorer did along the firewall. I had to change a few pin locations and add a ground connection in the connector as well.

For the driveshaft, I got an aluminum shaft from an F150 and had it shortened by a local machine shop to the length I needed. It's been on my list to have it professionally balanced, but the closest shop to me is 1.5 hours away and would require me to drop it off in the morning, with no guarantee on when they can get to it, and I just haven't had the time to sit around all day waiting on it.

In addition to the motor swap, I completely rebuilt and converted the front suspension over to a Fox 2.0 coil-over setup using a set of the brackets that copy the RCD design. The Fox coil-overs are paired with a set of King 700lb springs and were custom valved for mostly street use by Downsouth Motorsports. The rear suspension is essentially stock, but has a set of Monroe load adjusting shocks with the coil spring.

Due to a leaking pinion seal on the rear end, I took the opportunity to swap in a disc brake rear from a 2005 Sport Trac last year. I also opted to go for a 3.73 rear end instead of the 4.10, as while the 4.10 was fun around town I do A LOT of interstate driving and wanted to bring the cruising RPM's down a bit for comfort.

I could add a ton more detail, but suffice it to say that everything on the truck works as it originally did, with 2 exceptions. All the gauges work, the OBDII system works, the AC works (and is 100% new), etc. The 2 exceptions are that the O/D Off light doesn't light up when putting it in Tow mode, although it's possible that the bulb is just out, as Tow mode does work. The other is that I didn't wire in the old PATS system, as I really didn't care about it and knew I could just have it turned off in the custom tune for the ECU.

I have a detailed spreadsheet of all of the maintenance and work I've done over the past few years, and will gladly pass it along to an interested party. All of the parts I have for the truck will be included, with the exception of the Torque Monster headers, as they will have to be negotiated due to their value.

I've included a few pictures that I took after a quick cleaning recently. The paint looks decent from a few feet away, but there are definitely some blemishes. Interior is very decent, although the driver's seat is pretty rough as usual and there is some fading of the upper door panels. The sunroof cover's headliner material was sagging so I just peeled it off and left it as the black plastic panel for the time being.

Asking $6500.

List of parts replaced/added since purchase:
      Black headlights/corner lights w/ SS Ultra bulbs
      Black upper/lower billet grills
      Fog light housings
      Upper/lower control arms
      Upper/lower ball joints
      Inner/Outer tie rod ends
      Sway bar end links
      Front/rear brake calipers & pads
      Front/rear brake rotors
      Inner/outer wheel bearings & seals
      Front/rear stainless braided brake lines
      Fox 2.0 coil-overs w/700lb King springs
      Method Race wheels (17x8.5) w/ Cooper Discover 265/70-17 tires
      TCI Deep aluminum transmission pan w/drain plug
      Baumann transmission recalibration kit/updated Sonnax bypass clutch control valve
      Prothane body mounts
      Engine/transmission mounts
      A/C compressor, condensor, drier, evaporator core, upper/lower lines
      Windows tinted
      Dash cluster/climate control lights replaced with Sylvania LEDs
      Reverse bulbs changed to Sylvania LEDs
      Replaced 3rd brake light w/new F250 take-off
      ARE fiberglass tonneau cover - sprayed with bedliner and poly coated for UV protection
      WeatherTech in-channel window deflectors
      Cam synchronizer
      Oil pressure sending unit
      Coolant temp sensor
      Tensioner pulley
      DPFE sensor
      Water pump
      Upper/lower radiator hoses & bypass hoses
      Thermostat
      Fuel filter
      Spark plugs & wires
      Serpentine belt
      Magnaflow dual in/single out muffler, turn down before rear axle
      Kenwood DNX-5120 DVD head unit with Garmin navigation
      Kenwood 6x8 door speakers front/rear
      ScanGauge 2 mounted left of steering column
      Xcalibrator 2 w/custom tunes from Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning
      Ford rubber bed mat
      Bed extender
      Wheelskins leather steering wheel wrap

Extras included but not currently on truck:
      All aluminum, welded radiator w/custom aluminum fan shroud & Volvo S60 electric fan
      OEM step bars & brackets (one end cap missing)
      OEM roof rails
      Extra set of interior door panels
      Extra set of lower cab plastics
      Front tow hooks
      Extra lower billet grill
      OEM Pioneer 6-disc radio
      OEM Pioneer sub/amp for behind seat
      CompuStar 2-way remote start/alarm system
      All original torsion bar parts
      Torque Monster headers/new ARP bolts/gaskets for split tube (these will be negotiated)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited: February 24, 2017
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. danlong

danlong Active Member

City, State:
      Gainesville, FL
      2001 Sport Trac 2wd - V8
      Update... the speedometer is now dead on. I was able to reprogram the ABS unit using FORScan and set a custom value for the tire RPM.

4. danlong

danlong Active Member

City, State:
      Gainesville, FL
      2001 Sport Trac 2wd - V8
      The truck has been sold!

5. Josh P

Josh P Shaggin Wagon Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Phoenix Az
      1991 aerostar
      Did you get your asking price?

6. danlong

danlong Active Member

City, State:
      Gainesville, FL
      2001 Sport Trac 2wd - V8
      Not quite. Put the truck out in front of my neighborhood and sold it within 24 hours for 5K, but I had pulled the coil-overs and held back the headers and new radiator/e-fan setup which I've sold to a member here for 1k. Considering the mileage that my company paid me while using it for work and what I sold it for, I owned it for 3 years and 50K miles for free.Can't beat that!

• Like Like x 1
    7. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Congrats Dan! :chug: Shocked it took that long to sell.

IMO, one of the best 302 ST conversions EVER done. Would have bought it at full asking price if you weren't
      4500 miles away. Hope you stay in touch here, you are a wealth of knowledge to ANY automotive forum.
      Best wishes, and enjoy you new F-150. :burnout:

8. danlong

danlong Active Member

City, State:
      Gainesville, FL
      2001 Sport Trac 2wd - V8
      Thanks, Steve. I was somewhat surprised it didn't sell faster as well, and especially surprised that I had zero interest from anyone on any of the forums where I listed it. I had a number of calls from Craigslist that all seemed relatively serious, but only one actually showed up to look at it. I hated to see it go to someone who isn't really going to appreciate it for what it is, but it was time to move it and he had the cash.

And don't worry, I'm definitely enjoying the new truck! ;)

9. Borncountryboy

Borncountryboy New Member

City, State:
      Canton, OH
      2000 Ford Ranger XLT
      Did you sell the Torque Monster headers?

10. danlong

danlong Active Member

City, State:
      Gainesville, FL
      2001 Sport Trac 2wd - V8