600000 miles and not one major repair!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

600000 miles and not one major repair!!

divebag

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, la
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I have a 99 that really never had any major repair besides trans and a synchronizer!! Same engine, second transmission... It's most likely gonna turn 600000 miles in the next couple of weeks and I kinda wanna take the engine apart and do some cleaning but I'm old school"if it ain't broke don't fix it".. Would this be a stupid idea or a good idea to keep it going? I hear all horror stories when you start taking things apart, one thing breaks after the other ... Any ideas on what to do but not to intense of taking all kinda stuff apart ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's awesome! I wouldn't touch it. Which engine? It's gone this far without any signs of quitting, it could go another 600,000 still. I would leave it simply for the interest of seeing how long it will go.

4.0 sohc

My father has a 95 xlt ranger that he just decided to give to me he got it with 125xxx original tranny went out at 270xxx miles in 01 he put a tranny out of some ford van my brother had laying around could never connect the speedo sensor so the odometer didnt work but was his daily driver for 11 more years and only parked it for a year cuz he bought another ranger same year just less miles he figures bare min miles would b 500xxx on it
4.0 is bulletproof tranny not so much

You never had a timing chain issue? Even if you did, you got your moneys worth out of that engine, and you should not touch it, heck bring it to Ford and see if they will give you a new truck, if you trade yours in, so they can take it apart and inspect it.

synchronizer

I have a 99 that really never had any major repair besides trans and a synchronizer!! . . . 4.0 sohc

The SOHC V6 doesn't have a synchronizer. Are you referring to the camshaft position sensor? Is the 8th digit of your VIN an X or an E?

Back