91 XLT EXP climate control venting issue. Blend door?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 XLT EXP climate control venting issue. Blend door??

josh000888

Reaction score
City, State
va beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer XLT 4x4 4 dr
Hi, Let me start by saying that I have owned (and personally maintained for the most part) this 91 XLT 4x4 since it was new. The vehicle is immaculate and with exception of the carpet, I've replaced just about everything there is (that you can see) in the interior. I'm kind of proud of this vehicle. The build date is 09/90. I have 227,000 miles on her and my only MAJOR complaint after all this time with ford is the AC system (besides the substandard, save a dollar, engineering of the interior door handles). I think that speaks volumes.

I now have a problem with no air coming out of the panel vents. All air is coming out of the defrost and a bit out of the floor vents. The control arm works off a cable that is visible by pulling the CD head unit and is accessed by dropping the glove box. Everything appears to be working normally. The vacuum switch engages and disengages (moves up and down when the arm is positioned in the max ac position and back. I hear no vacuum leaks either.

Can anyone please shed some light on what the problem is??? I have read every thread (on blend doors) that I can find through various searches, but can find nothing on the 91 to 94's. I only have a Hayne's manual of 91 through 1999 and it is not that great. It does show the box and how to remove the cables, but little else. I'm thinking its in the box itself, and from what I've read, I hope I'm wrong. My local dealership is useless with the 91's now. All they want to do is sell me a new one. I prefer the classic 1st year explorer! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Josh

oh yea, you could eat off the motor. Under the hood is immaculate too. It should be as most everything has been replaced. She runs like a friggin top too.

Maybe the vacuum switch located on the side of the control assembly??? Anybody out there??

After a better look in good light and with a pair of glasses, the control cable had slipped off the plastic finger. Once back on, it works like a champ. Strangely, this connection doesn't have anything holding it together, so b/f I finish putting it all back together, I think I'll find a compression washer that fits and slide it onto the end.

Back