98 Explorer Fogs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Fogs

My fogs are really gross looking now because of yellowing and such. I was wondering if there were some nice looking fogs that I could get to replace these old stock ones I have... The fogs are the square ones in that airdam. Any help is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

98 fog lights

Just remove those ugly, yellowed plastic junk lights and wire in a fresh aftermarket set of driving or fog lights using the existing wiring. I picked up a halogen set at Walmart. They're smaller than stock but they're the oval design. Any of these light kits will have their own mounting bracket. Use the Explorer's original wiring and you can still use the dash-mounted switch/button.

Like he said, just pick up a nice set of aftermarket ones. Don't get cheap though, you'll just have new problems. And I don't suggest using the factory wiring for higher output lights. You're just asking for trouble then.

The Hella 450 Fog Lights are about $85.00. They are very close in size to the OEM fogs. (Oem 2 3/4 X 5 3/4 Hella 3 1/2 X 6 1/4) They may fit without trimming the hole. The fog light hole can easily be made bigger with a hacksaw blade so you should not let the light size limit you. Buy a good set of lights and use the factory wiring to trigger the relay that comes with the light wiring kit and you have the best way IMO. We can help you w/the wiring, so dont worry about that.

hey guys, I am going to do the same thing as the other fine gent in this forum. I have a 1999 sport, and right now I am shopping for lights. I am thinking either a set of PIAA 510's or a set of PIAA P9000's. The later have the angel glow affect using leds. Anyhow, I am wondering if I could get a rundown on how to attach the aftermarket relay/harness to the factory switch so that it essentially works like stock. I would really appreciate the rundown. happy new year all!

Look at the wiring diagram in the FAQs. Usually the switch is connected to pin 86 on the relay. All you do is connect the hot+ wire from the OEM fog lights to this pin.
Or if you are useing a PIAA wiring kit, splice the OEM hot+ fog wire to the PIAA switch wire.
The biggest benefit is that you get all 14 or so volts to the lights makeing them as bright as they were designed to be. Just useing the OEM wires without a relay does not get as many volts to the lights and they are noticiably dimmer.

Thanks everybody, those Hella 450s look like the best way to go. I will see about picking a pair up for my sport.

Back