A4LD to M5OD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jakegator

Reaction score
City, State
PA, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer 4dr ohv
Hello, first off I know this has been written up, as i have been reading the other threads. But I cant exactly fine my answer so im hoping someone can either direct me to thread of just tell me! I have a 92 XLT explorer, the trannys is the automatic and doesnt shift all that great and leaks tranny fluid from the bell housing (so i assume the torque converter). Any ways I really wanted a 4 door manual and couldnt find and so now seems like a good enough excuse to get that manual! I have already determined that the M5OD from a ranger will work, but my question is will the ECU from a ranger work in the explorer? If it does that would be great cause there are alot of 5spd manual rangers around me. Thanks all for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about the older ones but the 94 ranger ecu doesn't work in a 94 explorer. Since the 92 was the same body style it may work but I would stick with the same year. You can also run with the auto ecu until you find the right one.

Obviously only if the ranger was a 4.0L. You will be hard pressed to find one in the "old" body style. Check Ebay for PCMs, I can get you a part number if you wish for a 91-92 manual PCM. If I had an extra, I would sell it to ya.

The hardest part of the swap will be the pedals. I found it easier to remove the dash entirly for room to work. Also depending how far you want to go you may even remove the steering column to swap parts. I did, because I wanted a totally factory looking conversion. I even placed the factory rubber plugs in the firewall for the auto trans shifter and such. The only way to tell on mine is the door sticker has the auto trans code. There are also two different pedal widths. The 91-92s are narrower, this makes a difference if you want to get new pads, just something to be aware of

I recommend buying or finding a parts vehicle and buy it all. Make sure to get the wiring harness with the donor trans, they are different and a 91-92 will plug right into your vehicle with no mods.

Good luck on your conversion, there is tons of info on this site.

Check the 2 door sport models I have seen a lot more of them standard trans than auto. If you live near a u pull type of junk yard that would be your best bet.

Now for the aggravation I own a 4 door 5 speed X.... only seen 6 or so.

And if you wanted to make a trip to Tulsa OK there is a 91 4 door 5 speed for sale, the ad says new clutch on craigslist that's it.... the beauty is NO RUST. The price is $500 the claim is 88k miles but I would assume 188k, it is also 4 wheel drive.

Haha no rust that would be amazing! I have rust on things I didnt know rusted :p To bad those deals always come around when your outta money!

you can run the same ecu, my truck had the same problem, and decided to swap to manual M5OD, a Ford Ranger 95, 4x4, and so far I have no problem. my truck is a model 91.

Changes also the starter, is different between automatic and manual.

Back