AC recharge on 93 XLT

bstone

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT 4wd 4dr
Folks,

It's deathly hot and my AC only blows warm air. I had it upgraded to the new standard about 5 years ago. I bought a "ReChill Kit" Auto Air Conditioner which says "everything you need for colder air in 10 minutes". Sounds good.

When I go to attach the pressure host to where I think is proper connection, it does not appear to fit. The gauge-hose check thing has a sort of pull-back-slip-forward connection but the hose under the hood clearly is a screw. Since the gauge-host device which came with the box is the same where you connect the charge cannisters I am at a loss as what to do.

Below is a photo is a photo of what I see under my hood. The part that has a gray cap is a red on mine. When I screw it off, I have a place to to screw on but this is different from the hose-gauge that came with the box.

attachment.php

Please help.

follow the other hose from your compresser to the firewall... You will see the other conection. Its on the left hand side of the SUV

What you are looking for is on the other side of the car, the passengers side. The LP port where you insert refrigerant is located on the accumulator (under blue cap on RH picture).
The other picture shows a close-up of the type of fitting that will connect to your charging system. If you have screw type fittings instead of the quick release fittings, the 'upgrade' to the new standard did not include the correct fittings. You may want to consider revisiting the establishment that did it. Do you have a R12-R134 conversion sticker under your hood?
The 91-93 had a R12 type refrigerant system that uses screw type fittings. The 93 and on years used R134a and quick disconnect fittings. I cannot tell you what you have in your car. From your description of the fittings it sounds like R12.
For tips to convert from R12 to R134a read the stickies in the A/C forum.

Attachments

• SV2.JPG
    SV2.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,828
  • vacuum.JPG
    vacuum.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 3,702

The fitting that you posted is the high pressure side. You need the low pressure side which is pictured below yours.
Mark

Back