• Register Today It's free!

Adding / Removing Dash Trim

oscillot

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Ltd 302A
Anyone install an aftermarket dash kit yet?
WD1020_LG.JPG

I'm thinking of getting Blackwood, and only doing the bottom two pieces on the center console.
black_sde.jpg
sde_2.jpg

Do you think it looks better than the flat black plastic that comes stock?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't say I have seen this yet, welcome to the forum

This is one of those things I would have to see in person to really judge. I can see where it could look cool, or totally goofy. Of the choices, I think the blackwood would look the best. I'm not a flashy wood kind of guy :)

I do kinda like how it surrounds the 'buttons' on the radio, might be able to actually adjust things by touch again and not have to look to change the settings.

If you put it on and decide you don't like it, can you just peel it off?

Blackwood looks ten times better....

That first wood reminded me of something that I would find in a 1955 station wagon not a hot 20— Explorer. The black isn’t terrible yet not my favorite. To bad Ford doesn’t sell the trim to extend that you currently have in the car.
- Justin

This is one of those things I would have to see in person to really judge. I can see where it could look cool, or totally goofy.
The website doesn't leave me feeling very cood about the professionalism of the seller. It says "see schematic" for what you get, but there is no schematic shown.

And the "3 days to produce" seems to means that they aren't selling too many of them and are producing them one at a time.

It would be interesting to see in person to judge how thick the overlays are and what they look like - especially around the edges.

The website doesn't leave me feeling very cood about the professionalism of the seller. It says "see schematic" for what you get, but there is no schematic shown.

And the "3 days to produce" seems to means that they aren't selling too many of them and are producing them one at a time.

It would be interesting to see in person to judge how thick the overlays are and what they look like - especially around the edges.

I saw a schematic as one of the photos on the webpage. It showed all of the pieces that were included in the drawing. It didn't look like a CAD drawing the measurements and stuff, but showed all the little bits.

As for being one off, I don't have a problem with that. Small business is what makes this country go 'round :)

I too am curious as to how thick it is. I'd really like to handle a piece in person to get a good 'feel' for it.

I put down something similar in one of my previous car, which was a 04 Volvo S60. It looked great. But, don't expect those things to come off without a fight and especially over the microwave controls.

Got mine from carid.com, I ordered the RCF finish. Sorry for the poor shots, I can get better shots if anyone wants more. I have also included the schematic to give you guys a better idea. The parts fit perfectly and was a very easy install.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg590/mhikeboy/20120924_143637_zpsd09a68be.jpg
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg590/mhikeboy/20120924_143649_zpscef21628.jpg
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg590/mhikeboy/20120924_143623_zpsb36b186d.jpg
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg590/mhikeboy/20120924_144503_zpse371ac02.jpg

Replacing interior wood trim?

Hello Forum - I'm new here, this is my first post.

We recently bought a new 2013 Explorer that has exactly everything we wanted except it came with the wood dash trim. I'd much rather have the base silver painted trim as I am not a fan of the faux wood.

Has anyone tried to change out the trim on the dash and doors - either to the wood trim or the the silver trim? I definitely don't want to induce any squeaks or rattles, but I plan on keeping this ride for a good long while and want the Explorer to look just right for me.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

We recently bought a new 2013 Explorer that has exactly everything we wanted except it came with the wood dash trim. I'd much rather have the base silver painted trim as I am not a fan of the faux wood.

Has anyone tried to change out the trim on the dash and doors - either to the wood trim or the the silver trim? I definitely don't want to induce any squeaks or rattles, but I plan on keeping this ride for a good long while and want the Explorer to look just right for me.

Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the Forum FAV002. :wavey:
You may want to also post this in the 'Modified' forum where someone may have done this change. You can also try contacting the dealer's parts department to see if they can provide any info on this.

Peter

Replacing interior wood trim?

Sorry I posted this in the general forum...I think it should have been over here instead. Anyone on the forum done any interior trim swaps?

An easy way to cover up the trim is with vinyl. Check out eBay and search for silver vinyl. It's cheap and much easier than replacing trim.

ive seen plasti dip used to paint over wood trim as well

Dash wood trim

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, as I just picked up my first Ford ever! Purchased an XLT in Oxford white. I love the dual moonroof! So I've spent this week searching on this forum for a few things and have definitely got some great advice by reading many posts on here on a few things like the shark fin antenna. But I haven't seen much on two things... Is there a great website with parts and part numbers? Sort of like a diagram that you can see individual parts? And also has anyone switched out there dash trim for wood? Even the "fake" wood. Mine came with that dotted aluminum trim and not a huge fan of it. Looks like it would take up only the passenger dash and a small piece by driver and two longer spots on front doors. Any ideas on how to go about getting part #s for these? I searched like I said but unable to find much on here in the forum... So sorry if it's a repeat question. Thanks everyone!

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, as I just picked up my first Ford ever! Purchased an XLT in Oxford white. I love the dual moonroof! So I've spent this week searching on this forum for a few things and have definitely got some great advice by reading many posts on here on a few things like the shark fin antenna. But I haven't seen much on two things... Is there a great website with parts and part numbers? Sort of like a diagram that you can see individual parts? And also has anyone switched out there dash trim for wood? Even the "fake" wood. Mine came with that dotted aluminum trim and not a huge fan of it. Looks like it would take up only the passenger dash and a small piece by driver and two longer spots on front doors. Any ideas on how to go about getting part #s for these? I searched like I said but unable to find much on here in the forum... So sorry if it's a repeat question. Thanks everyone!

Try www.fordparts.com. You can find all the part numbers you're after plus diagrams. The diagrams aren't that detailed and some of the part numbers are generic but it gives you a guide at least. Once you know what you want you're best off going to your local dealer to get actual part numbers and/or order.

That's definitely a start! Thanks so much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I posted this in the general forum...I think it should have been over here instead. Anyone on the forum done any interior trim swaps?

Did you ever find a way to swap them out? I am actually looking for the wood ones.. Not really liking anything I see on the market in regards to peel and stock kind

Back