Adding roof AC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding roof AC?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Has anyone added AC roof ducts for the rear on a second gen? I've always wondered if some small ducts would fit behind the B pillar trim, then up though the headliner. There seems to be a thick spot in the headliner just above and in front of the rear seats, this would be the perfect location for the roof AC vents to blow air towards the rear. I also wondered if the rear blower has enough power to blow air through the rear vents and potential roof ducts. Seems like a fun project.

Has anyone added AC roof ducts for the rear on a second gen? I've always wondered if some small ducts would fit behind the B pillar trim, then up though the headliner. There seems to be a thick spot in the headliner just above and in front of the rear seats, this would be the perfect location for the roof AC vents to blow air towards the rear. I also wondered if the rear blower has enough power to blow air through the rear vents and potential roof ducts. Seems like a fun project.
I like this idea. You would think it would gen easy enough to get a thin plastic tubing behind it, the blower though, maybe get one from an old minivan that actually had this as an option.

I doubt I'll do it anytime soon as I'm currently doing an hid projector retrofit. That and it's now summertime in Florida, so more than 10 minutes of work outside is seemingly impossible with temps in the 90's and 80% humidity :)

Back