1st gen rear ac addition possibility? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen rear ac addition possibility?

trozei123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT 4x4
While browsing through my Haynes manual for a schematic on hooking up some fog lights that I just got, I noticed something interesting.

The manual says some 96 and up explorers had rear ac in the center console. This sounds much easier than my original thought of trying to run some ducting along the roof panel and tied into the main vents.

Has anyone else added rear ac on their first gen? Does the idea of building a center console and getting a blower motor and controls from a junkyard second gen sound like a possibility? Or would the wiring be too much for the vehicle to handle?

The 93 Limited I had with the console had air ducts exiting at the back of it. I don't know how well that worked for passengers. I used my 93 body(rear clip) to repair/rebuild a wrecked 99 Limited. So I'm familiar with the full length consoles of the 95-01's.

You can mount that big console in the 1st gen's, but it does mount with two bolts into the dash, two into the floor, plus a unique mount at the back(riveted to the floor). You can get that rear mount and attach it to your floor, I'm not sure how the front of the console would mate to your dash. Those full length consoles have wiring harnesses in them which disconnect at the dash. There's a ton of wires in those, a bunch for the radio plus the secondary 20a power outlet.

console bracket1.JPG

console bracket004.JPG

Back