• Register Today It's free!

air silencer again

95xeb

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Eddie Bauer
I've read the posts, but i'm not sure on this part...

Is the air silencer the rubber gasket type thing on the lower half of the airbox? Or is it farther down the tube that goes into the wheel well?

I've got a 95 eddie bauer

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lower part of the airbox. Where the air goes in.

It's the tube that goes into the fender well. It is frequently taken out of mustangs. It has been dynoed on mustangs for a small increase in horsepower and torque yet at redline it will actually slightly lower torque. It is free to do though so it doesn't hurt.

I didn't notice any change by removing the air silencer.

Air Silencer?

Hi, everyone is going to be sick of these air box questions for sure but here goes again.
I have a 95 XLT, just took my box apart this morning and was hoping someone can clarify all this.
It is in 3 sections actually, one is the maf section which I know we do not touch, the other is the middle section which holds the factory air filter and this is the one that has the 2 little prongs that go into the rubber grommets. The last section is the one that is inside the fender. Holy Crap! if that is the one to get out, how do you do that! The one that holds the air filter has a small rubber outlet on it which looks pretty useless. I guess you dont loos that section because then there would be nothing holding the filter in.
Sorry about these guestions folks but I'm just not sure on this one but the whole idea seems good.
I just finished doing the throttle cable trick and will let you know how that goes later today after a long drive.

Thanks.

If you have the round air filtr just remove the end box and expose the filter. Then crimp the collar that holds the part of the box you removed so that it, the collar, will hold the filter tightly in place without the box on the end. You now have an "open element" air filter with no restrictions.

Thanks for the info Bill, yes I have the round style, it has that black bulb at the end of the filter. Anyway did you do this to your 1996? Any improvements? Does it affect the sensors? I guess the filter would require more frequent changes due to dirt and moisture? I was sure everyone was talking about removing the tube in the fender but maybe that was on the first generation?

Topo, if people were talking about removing the air silencer then they were talking about removing that tube in the fender. And yes if you remove any part of the air filter housing then you will need to get a cleanable K&N-type air filter. Removing an air filter housing part will make your engine sound a bit louder and will give a marginal hp gain. It is free though, so you can't go wrong.

Explorerinma,

How do I get that tube out from the fender well? I had a look at it this morning and it looks like a real bummer. Taking that tube out would certainly be cool and I would not have to leave the filter out in the "cold" so to speak.

Originally posted by topo4u2
Explorerinma,

How do I get that tube out from the fender well? I had a look at it this morning and it looks like a real bummer. Taking that tube out would certainly be cool and I would not have to leave the filter out in the "cold" so to speak.

You're gonna need to remove the passenger side fender. Kind of a PITA.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
If you have the round air filtr just remove the end box and expose the filter. Then crimp the collar that holds the part of the box you removed so that it, the collar, will hold the filter tightly in place without the box on the end. You now have an "open element" air filter with no restrictions.
Bill, can you explain how to "crimp" the collar so it will hold the filter? I have done this mod and have a loose fit between the collar and filter.

Hi Jason,

Oh man, if that fender has to come than I will pass on that tube...can't see a big enough reason to pull the fender off just to get that tube out.
I guess I will save up for a K&N filter and try it. Has anyone used the K&N in winter time below freezing with any success or better to put factory filter in winter?
By the way, I did the throttle cable upgrade and yes there is definately better throttle response, no more lag off the line. I did check the throttle plate before and after and there was no change in its opening but I'm happy with it.

Just take a pair of pliars and squeese the ring tighter at about 8 or 12 points around the circumfrence. You dont need a K & N filter to do this mod but the K & N will give you more air flow. Your stock filter will not get much dirtier being exposed.
I see absolutly no need to remove the air tube from the fender. Mater of fact, it brings some cool air into the filter area. I would & did leave it.

Hi Bill, so you recommend leaving out the middle section of the air assembly and just going with the open air filter? I wonder how it will be in winter? I agree, leaving the tube in fender is probably the best thing to do but I'm not sure what you mean by getting cool air from it if you have an open filter with that assembly missing? Do you know what I mean?

Bill, I thought about it and I know what you mean now by it bringing cold air near the filter.....by the way, when you install a K&N or leave out the secondary part of the air box do you have any computer problems at all or is it just drive and go?

Originally posted by topo4u2
Bill, I thought about it and I know what you mean now by it bringing cold air near the filter.....by the way, when you install a K&N or leave out the secondary part of the air box do you have any computer problems at all or is it just drive and go?
Drive and go! I've been running this setup for over a year now.

Back