Any Advice

DV Mike

Reaction score
City, State
Grants Pass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Mazda B2300
Hello everyone,

I'm on here because my son has bought a 1996 Mazda B2300 (Engine: 2.3L L4 SOHC 8V, Manual Transmission) and I want to go and make sure he has a very dependable first truck. I've gone though and done some different thing to help it run better but still having issues.
-The truck will sputter when shifting up at lower RPM's
- Sometimes when starting the truck it acts like its out of time then starts.

Not sure where to start but I don't want to just tear down the motor and rebuild if its not necessary. Any advice or points to start would be appreciated.

-DV Mike

First thing I would try is a tune up (spark plugs and ignition wires). Other maintenance items are fuel filter, air filter, clean MAF sensor, PCV valve, check for vacuum leaks. Get a scanner and check for any stored codes, even if the CEL/MIL light is not on.

We have done plugs, fuel filter, i haven't cleaned the MAF Sensor yet. Thank you for the tips. Have you ever done timing on one of these engines? I have not and I am not familiar to timing them in case i have to do so. Again, thank you for the start points.

Or, you can try using a higher octane fuel next time you get gas, it might cost more, maybe a couple bucks, dont need to fill the tank, but try to run as low on fuel as possible before adding higher grade fuel. If the truck runs better on higher octane fuel, chances are the problem is carbon deposits on the top of the piston and in the combustion chamber are raising compression causing pre-ignition/detonation, this can make the engine sound like the timing is off when try to start the engine when hot.

Back