Avoiding self-destruction with a power inverter... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Avoiding self-destruction with a power inverter...

Terkins

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ex XLS; 4x4; OHV-6
I'm wondering if purchasing a 1000 W power inverter (ie. Amazon/Harbor Freight Tools/etc.) and running tools--like a cut-off wheel (7 A)--would damage my stock alternator/battery/electronics? I also have a portable carpet/upholstery cleaner (6 A) that would be nice to be able to use. Has anyone used one this size without beefing-up their battery and/or alternator output? Without causing something to catch fire/explode/malfunction?

[Obviously, there are bigger units too, but I'm not looking to power a rock band or-such...]

[I live in an apt. on the 3rd story. No family. No relatives. No A/C outlet. No repairs/maintenance in the parking lot...]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use a set of clamps on the battery. That way the inverter drain doesn’t affect anything else.

Buy true sine wave inverter, as some appliances might require that (it's bit more expensive).

Your cars battery has roughly 60-70 amp hours to use from, so with 7 amp drain you can use it for approx 10 hours, but naturally you'll never want to drain the battery that far as you'll never be able to start your car again with that battery. For small jobs here and there you should be fine using inverter without issues, just make sure you have enough juice left to start your car.

Also it sounds like you want to be absolutely sure that you can still run the car after using your appliances, you might want to consider adding additional battery and using battery isolator to make sure that your primary (cars battery) battery wont be affected by the drain.

auxiliarybatterywiringexample-5ae253713128340037cef3b0.jpg

81AGQi4p4BL._SL1500_.jpg

Also it sounds like you want to be absolutely sure that you can still run the car after using your appliances, you might want to consider adding additional battery and using battery isolator to make sure that your primary (cars battery) battery wont be affected by the drain.

auxiliarybatterywiringexample-5ae253713128340037cef3b0.jpg

81AGQi4p4BL._SL1500_.jpg
This would be valuable if I go camping and decide to use the inverter for longer/more uses. Thanks!

Remember too that the 110v appliances are rated in amps at 110v, thus a 6-7 amp device is 660 and 770 watts. In 12v's that a lot more amps, 55 amps for the lesser one. So the 1000w inverter size is a good choice(limit) to run on the stock vehicle system.

But you should check the OEM system, find out what power it makes at idle, which is much lower than the rating of the alternator. Some alternators do make close to 100 amps at idle, but most are well below that. It's possible you can run your small devices just with the inverter planned, or it could need some extra work and money. Any alternator shop should be able to test your alternator and help with that kind of 110v system, the wiring etc.

The inverter should be rated for higher wattage than what you need since tools such as angle grinders or miter saws have a strong surge when they start. Inverters have a continuous wattage, and a peak wattage. Always run the engine with the inverter running. Tools with motors or compressors should use sine wave inverters. I've tried modified inverters. They caused the motors & compressors to run slower than they should, and run much hotter. I've tested the amp draw, and saw that those devices were consuming more current than they should since they weren't running at peak efficiency.

Back