• Register Today It's free!

Ball Joint Dilemma

The_Sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Draper, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Hey guys, I replace my lower ball joints 2 years ago with a $25 dollar ones from Oreilly. Our mechanic told us a while ago that one had some play in it (about 6 months), and now I can see that my front tires are wearing unevenly, and quite rapidly, on the inside edge. I still have the receipts, I believe they may be Moog parts. Should I exchange them under the warranty or just pay for something higher end?

Also, could hammering them into place have caused damage that could lead them to go bad so soon? (Or michigan's terrible roads?)

Thanks

Well, if you don't mind doing it yourself, just return them to O'Reilly's and get replacements if they are under warranty. If you have lifetime replacements on the ball joints and while this is not the easiest job, you will never have to pay for ball joints again. Yes, you should never directly hammer on the ball joint and if you did, that could damage them. You can get a press at the auto parts store for free. If you are paying someone to do your work, then get the best parts available and have them put them in for you.

Also, did your mechanic check your upper ball joints as well? What about tie rod ends? After all is checked out okay or repaired, you probably should get an alignment.

Back