Bought an 02 that wont move?!? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought an 02 that wont move?!?

$2k is for a new transmission and the R&R at the ford dealership. I have been told by many that a reman or junk yard trans is only asking for the same problems. Thanks for your response, looks like I'll be shopping around to find a good price, but the dealerships warranty may be worth it!

A junk yard transmission absolutely is untrustworthy, but I wouldn't discount just getting a rebuild, which is what I did and faced no problems once done. I assume saying "new" you mean they're actually quoting you for a new transmission which would definitely jack up the price. Perhaps the dealership doesn't rebuild them. If you have a local garage you trust you could check it out there, you'd probably get a better deal either way since it's not the dealership. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A junk yard transmission absolutely is untrustworthy, but I wouldn't discount just getting a rebuild, which is what I did and faced no problems once done. I assume saying "new" you mean they're actually quoting you for a new transmission which would definitely jack up the price. Perhaps the dealership doesn't rebuild them. If you have a local garage you trust you could check it out there, you'd probably get a better deal either way since it's not the dealership. :D

The only transmission shop around here told me it would be $2500 plus to remove, rebuild, and replace. only 1 year warranty. I will call around other close cities to quote some prices but I believe the new transmission installed for $2k and a 3 year warranty from the Ford Dealership is the best bet.

I have a 2003 explorer 4.0 2wd. Tonight I was driving down the interstate & all of the sudden it would not go. Pulled into a road park and it went in reverse fine. No weird sounds or vibration. Any ideas where I could start? No lights came on

I have a 2003 explorer 4.0 2wd. Tonight I was driving down the interstate & all of the sudden it would not go. Pulled into a road park and it went in reverse fine. No weird sounds or vibration. Any ideas where I could start? No lights came on

If its not clunking maybe vacuum leak someplace. It maybe is getting hot. Check trans cooler

$2k is for a new transmission and the R&R at the ford dealership. I have been told by many that a reman or junk yard trans is only asking for the same problems. Thanks for your response, looks like I'll be shopping around to find a good price, but the dealerships warranty may be worth it!

$2k for a new transmission installed by a Ford Dealership with a warranty is a steal; go for it! Look around at threads here, most people end up paying almost twice that. A quality rebuilt unit is $1500 alone. Just check with the dealer to make sure they are replacing the torque converter and solenoid block in that cost, as well as insuring they have a good reputation in general.

Back