Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bought an 02 that wont move?!?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by 44magnum, April 8, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Burnout

Burnout Active Member

City, State:
    North Quincy, MA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '04 XLT
    A junk yard transmission absolutely is untrustworthy, but I wouldn't discount just getting a rebuild, which is what I did and faced no problems once done. I assume saying "new" you mean they're actually quoting you for a new transmission which would definitely jack up the price. Perhaps the dealership doesn't rebuild them. If you have a local garage you trust you could check it out there, you'd probably get a better deal either way since it's not the dealership. :D

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ChopShopMouth

ChopShopMouth New Member

City, State:
    Corinth, Mississippi
    02 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
    The only transmission shop around here told me it would be $2500 plus to remove, rebuild, and replace. only 1 year warranty. I will call around other close cities to quote some prices but I believe the new transmission installed for $2k and a 3 year warranty from the Ford Dealership is the best bet.

4. Katlee

Katlee New Member

City, State:
    Canton, Texas
    2003 Ford Explorer
    I have a 2003 explorer 4.0 2wd. Tonight I was driving down the interstate & all of the sudden it would not go. Pulled into a road park and it went in reverse fine. No weird sounds or vibration. Any ideas where I could start? No lights came on

5. 4D X

4D X Member

City, State:
    Mn
    1996-97 explorer
    If its not clunking maybe vacuum leak someplace. It maybe is getting hot. Check trans cooler

6. JoshMcMadMac

JoshMcMadMac Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Waynesboro, PA
    2002 Mercury Mountaineer
    $2k for a new transmission installed by a Ford Dealership with a warranty is a steal; go for it! Look around at threads here, most people end up paying almost twice that. A quality rebuilt unit is $1500 alone. Just check with the dealer to make sure they are replacing the torque converter and solenoid block in that cost, as well as insuring they have a good reputation in general.