Broken outside mirror replacement, what's needed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken outside mirror replacement, what's needed?

jnb0111

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT sport
The driver side mirror is broken on my '03 sport, so I'm going to see if I can find a replacement today at pull-a-part. I've searched, and not seen any tutorial on how to replace the mirror, though. From what I can tell, I'll have to remove the door panel, so I'd like to know what I'm looking at to determine how to do it without breaking something.
Second part of the question, my car came without the mirror, so it's not a simple "match mine with theirs", as I don't know. Will the mirror from a 4 door Explorer 95-01 fit my 2 door '03, or is there a separate, harder to find a donor mirror for the sports?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

firstly, find out if your other mirror is heated or has puddle lights or both.. if you only have the simple electric mirror your search will be easier.

remove the door panel,
remove the speaker
inside the door is the wiring plug for the mirror, undo it
there are 3 bolts in the door holding the mirror on, think they're 13mm undo them
pull old mirror off.
repeat backwards to re-install new mirror.

Si

Unfortunately you will have to buy the same generation and also have the same options on the mirror. The link below will direct you to what we have available. If your not sure of the options on your mirror contact your local dealer and ask them what came with the truck.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Mirrors/Ford/ExplorerSport/-/-/2003

no puddle lamps, no heat, at least the passenger mirror doesn't have the little heater pic on it, so I'm guessing they're not heated. I don't care about heat though, even if it does have heated mirrors. I live in NC, it rarely gets that cold, and I'm just concerned with having a mirror that fits the car and lets me not run over small cars next to me if I don't look. :)

I've managed to whack a deer twice with my pass side mirror without any other damage to the door.

Both times, I bought an aftermarker mirror assy off the internet and replaced it myself.

Not too hard of a job.

The aftermarket ones aren't a perfect fit, but they get the job done.

Rock Auto is the place for after market mirrors.

I've got a pair of mirrors that would suit your need, I'm asking $50 plus shipping, but I'd need your zip code for the exact amount

Si

Rock Auto is the place for after market mirrors.

Have you used one of the TYC mirrors they sell? I'm going to be putting one on my truck soon and want to make sure it's not some crappy 5/6 scale knockoff with a funhouse glass mirror or anything.

I installed the TYC mirror from RockAuto this past weekend on my wife's '99. Install was a breeze and the mirror is very nice quality. I was worried about getting a "funhouse mirror" but it looks just fine.

You really can't beat it for $38 delivered.

Ended up getting an OEM one for the grand price of free. Have a friend who totaled his, and before the insurance company took it, he asked if I needed anything.

Stupid question, of this I am sure.

What size are the bolts on the bottom of the door panel? i've tried every small size I have, and nothing it working... Is there a way to change the mirror without taking the whole panel off?

Back