• Register Today It's free!

Electric Mirrors (99 XLT)

ajrn

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
My g/f broke the passenger (RH) mirror off her Explorer the other day..

I'm going to replace it, (duh) but saw when looking for replacements that there apparently were several different 'electric' mirrors for it..

Power Mirror
Power Mirror with "puddle light" (she has this kind currently)

and HEATED ones..

Is the wiring harness for ALL power mirrors the same?? IF so-- could I swap in the heated mirrors without a lot of hassle??

I'm assuming it's in the rear window defrost circuit-- but haven't found anything to substantiate that.. Do they have a separate circuit??

Anyway-- any information would be appreciated.. I've posted "wanted" ad for the mirrors here as well..

I'd like to get this done in the next couple weeks..

AJ RN

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a good question? On the 99, it appears to be tied into the rear defrost circuit directly. Check your fuses: In the battery junction box, fuse #3 (30A mini) should be there if you have the rear defrost (which I think they all do). Then the schematic shows the RWD relay, which feeds the rear window defrost, and fuse #32 in the fuse junction panel on the side of the dash (10A) which then feeds the light in the defrost switch, as well as the heater elements in both mirrors. Sooooo......

The thing to check for would be a DG/VT and a black wire in the mirror housing connector, and if it's there, whether or not it has power when the rear window defrost is on.

Now, after all this time, you've got me wondering if mine has it too..... Hmmmm.... May have to do some digging this weekend. Let me know what you find!

-Joe

I had a hard time thinking they'd have a separate wiring harness for "heated mirrors..." (it's cheaper to put in wires you don't use, then to manufacture and use multiple harnesses)

..but I kept thinking-- I don't remember seeing a space on the dash for an "optional switch.."

Sooo.. I guess I'm going to hit one of the ebay aftermarket types, and pick up a pair with puddle lights AND heaters..

...BTW-- Seaway Hospital, in Trenton, right??

AJ RN

I had a hard time thinking they'd have a separate wiring harness for "heated mirrors..." (it's cheaper to put in wires you don't use, then to manufacture and use multiple harnesses)

..but I kept thinking-- I don't remember seeing a space on the dash for an "optional switch.."

The wiring, if it's there, would be tied into the existing rear window defrost circuit, so there's no need for the extra switch. I'm also pretty confident that the wiring is there.... it's got me wondering now... The suspense is killing me!

Sooo.. I guess I'm going to hit one of the ebay aftermarket types, and pick up a pair with puddle lights AND heaters..

I'd check the wiring first... no point in buying the better mirrors if you can't use 'em.

...BTW-- Seaway Hospital, in Trenton, right??

Seaway is in Trenton, yes (or is it technically Brownstown?? Not sure...).... technically it's now Oakwood-Southshore, but those of us that grew up downriver still call it Seaway. I had three siblings and two nieces born there. Did time there myself back in '81 for a broken arm... How do you know of the place?

Well...

I bought a pair of power/heated/puddlelampin' mirrors-- they'll hopefully be here in a week.. Which is good-- I've got other projects to attend to anyway. The difference between "heated" and power mirrors with puddle lights was less than $10 for the pair.. (shrug) I don't want to "tear into" the project, until I've got parts to complete it..

Anyway..

I work at a hospital in Toledo, that used to frequently send a Helicopter to Seaway.. I'd been there once-- uh, it was memorable.. I think that's all I can say "legally..." LOL

Anyway-- I "promise" I'll stop back here when the mirrors arrive and I've got one installed..

I imagine I'll offend someone-- but I'm a former Ford employee, so I feel qualified.. (I worked @MSP, now slated to close)

The primary reason they only use one harness, is because it's a bear to change one, after the vehicle is built. Without fail, some idiot would put in a wrong one, if there was a "choice..."

The mirrors are HERE!! Was going to try to get at least the damaged one replaced tomorrow.

I only see the two phillips screws by the interior door handle.. Are there more that need to be removed before I pull the door panel??

Is there anything else I need to worry about when I do it??

I hate doing "pretty stuff" like this.. I have to worry about how it LOOKS when I'm done!! :)

The door panel is held on by plastic things that pop out of the door. Just pry the door panel slowly with a large screwdriver or something similar.

-Tim

Tim..

Thanks-- sort of assumed that-- but didn't want to find out "late" I shoulda asked first..

I've got my marchin' orders!! I'll hopefully be able to report a working heated mirror in the morning! :salute:

Good luck! Let us know what you find!

Well...

Bad news, Kids-- Lassie's dead.. :eek:

Oh-- and the wiring to the mirror, doesn't include the two extra wires for the heater element, either.. :rolleyes:

I took pictures while I had it apart.. It's a very simple job.. Even with: convincing the 17 year old to loan me his digital camera, taking pics, grabbing a second beer when the wires weren't there, and two nuts dropped into the door-- I was done in under an hour..

I'm still going to keep the OTHER heated mirror.. Maybe add a switch/relay under the dash/on the console somewhere to run them.. :thumbsup:

But not this afternoon.. I'm still mourning the cool cheap mod I thought I was going to do.. Both heated mirrors, and ($30 shipping!!) were under $100.. So it wouldn't be a bad "aftermarket mod" if you wanted heated mirrors..

I got the mirrors from "procarparts.com" but they sell their parts on ebay cheaper. I just checked "my" auction.. A heated power mirror with "puddle lights" were $26.50 with $17.50 to ship.. They're "Alfa Otto" brand-- and came oddly packaged in a soft fabric bag.

The mirror motors don't appear to work poorly (jerky) or anything else out of the ordinary.. We'll see if that lasts "down the road.." I do realize this was an UNGODLY cheap price on these mirrors.. I'm guessing I couldn't get a used one at a junkyard much cheaper. For my "experiment" I wanted to go cheap. If I never wire to that heater element-- I really haven't lost anything..

The 17 year old's going to email me the pics-- I'll write up a "mirror change" in hopes of becoming an "Elite Explorer.." (Is that what happens when you hit an old Torino with a half vinyl roof??)

Repeating (Bottom line is)

THERE IS NO PLUG AND PLAY UPGRADE TO ADD HEATED MIRRORS!!

Bummer. I wonder where the wiring truncates? One of these days I'm going to tear my dash open... maybe that'll be the day I look for the ends. I wonder.... do the wires make it through the door hinge and get capped there, or are they not even that far?

-Joe

Joe..

I momentarily entertained taking the little snorkel deally out of the door, and doin' a little "Explorin.."

Then my "screw it, it's done" gene took over.. (It's a dominant gene, for me!)

The rest... History.

Like I said-- Under a hundred for a pair of heated lighted mirrors.. Say what you will about "third world labor.." On some stuff I don't have to have "the best..."

Back