BUying an Explorer Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BUying an Explorer Sport

Pagz I would check your transfer case fluid level ASAP. If it has a leak there's a possibility its mostly empty if it has never been touched.

Originally posted by MONMIX
120k is in fact a lot of miles for an Explorer.
There are a few people here well above 100k and even into 200k but those folks earned those miles with lots of tlc.
It is a tough call. Think about this , how much will you be able to spend if you need nurse it back to health.
BS! My Explorer has been abused and thrashed through its 108K miles of its lifetime. And guess what? Stock suspension, even was on the original brakes up until 90K miles. Nah, these things are tougher than CR gives it credit for. My Explorer is a tank. Wouldn't trade it for anything. It has gone over sand and dunes, seen redline almost everyday. It has been up on 2 wheels before (Test the limits of the suspension), gone sideways down the road (Practicing skid recovery) and various other horrible things you would never want done to your car. I was doing a 0-60 run which turned into 0-80 and at about 70 MPH the transmission dropped back into 2nd. 7,500 RPMs all of sudden, and the car surged forward.

Even after all of that, that motor pulls off high 7 0-60s, 5R55E transmission keeps on shifting as strong and crisp as when we bought it, and we still get 25 MPG on the highway and high teens in the city.

Best vehicle ever made.

Have to agree with "Majisto" on that one. My 97 Sport was run hard. Loved running it to the highend shift points all the time. Ran like new the day i sold it last year. Lady that bought it is still "Happier than a pig in a mud puddle" with the way it runs and handles.

However, with that many miles, most dealers would just send the vehicle to the auction. BUT, if they kept it to sell on their lot, they would do the following:

1. Change the oil, oil filter and check/change air filter.
2. Change fuel filter.
3. Check brake pads, rotors and park brake shoes/operation.
4. Check for slop in the front end.
5. Check for major leaks.
6. Check/change tranny fluid and filter.
7. Check for a good spare tire.
8. Check/change fluid in front/rear diff. and T-Case.
9. Detail the vehicle inside and out.
10. A few other things my brain is missing at this time.

Being a private sale, it may be pretty much a "Thank you very much"..."SEE YA".

Back