Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cargo Hauler for rear hitch

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by CatEx2011, July 8, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. CatEx2011

CatEx2011 New Member

City, State:
      Rock Hill, SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2011 XLT
      Any suggestions on what size would be best for a hitch hauler? I am thinking 60" but just want to make sure it will not be too big. Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Holligl

Holligl Active Member

City, State:
      Hoffman Estates, IL
      2011 Limited Platinum
      Highly recommend this one:
      http://www.farmandfleet.com/product....html?lref=/catalog/find.aspx?t=Cargo+Carrier
      Here are pictures in use on the Ex. during a service project in Appalachia:
      http://www.4shared.com/photo/5u6zEBHT/IMGP0475.html
      http://www.4shared.com/photo/aTRaXhBY/IMGP0478.html
      The great thing is the tailgate clears, even with the cage up and loaded. I did drill another hole to move it forward since the original hole carried it further back and there was about 4" clearance before it reaches the spare tire well. It has a built in cage, cover, two size hitch mounts, and a cargo net. It does fold up too. 60" was perfect size. Held two totes and my tool box. Even though the floor is mesh, it still stayed dry inside with the cover on in rain.

4. rx7rules

rx7rules New Member

City, State:
      Florida
      2012 EX Limited on Order
      Hitch cargo

Holligl,

Can the surrounding cage be completely removed from the platform? Or does it fold down into the platform which would eliminate some of the storage capacity?

5. Holligl

Holligl Active Member

City, State:
      Hoffman Estates, IL
      2011 Limited Platinum
      Permanently attached, but folded you only lose maybe 1-2 inches, figure sky's the limit going up. I've only used it with the cage up.

6. CatEx2011

CatEx2011 New Member

City, State:
      Rock Hill, SC
      2011 XLT
      This is great! Thanks for the pics too. I put a hitch on aftermarket so it sits a little lower. Therefore, I am going to look for one with the cage that offers a 2" riser. Thanks for the help!