cat back exhaust: to get or not to get? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cat back exhaust: to get or not to get?

catback exhaust system: yes or no?

• get the "high flow, low noise" muffler with 2.25" pipes

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • go with the stock system

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Always listen to Alec, he knows his exhaust!

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
well, since my truck is in the shop and im getting new exhaust regardless because it was demolished in my accident, i was considering giving a cat back setup another shot. heres my history with exhaust:

2 summers ago (2000) i wanted to have the shop put on a flowmaster, but i brought them the wrong size, so they threw on a cherry bomb, just so i could have my truck back at the end of the day - this was way too loud and annoying for me.

then i said, screw it, just put on a stock system again, without even bothering to track down the correct flowmaster. when i went to pick up my truck, the guy said he didnt want me to lose power, but i knew i wanted quiet, so he gave me a "low noise, high flow" muffler on 2.5" pipes. for a while i liked it, but early in the morning it was annoying to hear it and the drone on the highway was annoying. so i got rid of it and went back to a completely stock setup, which was destroyed in my accident last month.

i was considering going back with that "low noise, high flow" muffler, but with 2.25" pipes to keep it a little quieter, but im a little nervous about it annoying me again.

i had told my body shop at first that i would have my exhaust done by meineke, who did all my other custom systems, but today, i just decided to screw it, not take a chance, and go with a bone stock exhaust system and have my body shop/mechanics shop do it. now, im starting to second guess myself. i keep thinking, itll be cool to get a cataback setup, and itll sound cool, but im concerned that it might be the same exact thing on the highway and early in the morning and late at night. im sure i can call my shop tomorrow and change my mind, but i dont think i can change my mind after tomorrow, since theyd have to order the parts.

what do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you're worse than a woman! HOW can an exhaust annoy you?!

You tried it and didn't like it. Nothings changed they will still make more noise. Stick with stock if you're happy with performance.

Borla?

If you are interested in Borla's, you are more than welcome to test drive my truck.

Originally posted by Hartman
I think you're worse than a woman! HOW can an exhaust annoy you?!

well, if i had a 2003 cobra, id make it as loud as i possibly could ;) but when i have a 2 and a half ton vehicle with an extremely underpowered engine, ill step on the gas and itll make a lot of noise and i wont go anywhere fast, heh. i dont like exhaust on 6 bangers anyway, but i liked that one system on my truck, but early in the morning or late at night when youre really tired, or driving 300 miles on a road trip, it annoys me.

howard, you make a really good point. unfortunately, i AM worse than a woman - i still cant make up my mind, and no matter which one i pick, after i get teh truck back, ill want the one i didnt pick, heh.

maybe id be better off just flipping a coin ;)

Re: Borla?

Originally posted by WillieChu
If you are interested in Borla's, you are more than welcome to test drive my truck.

2 years ago when i was looking at exhaust systems, i called borla and you cant get a catback from them for a SOHC sport anymore.

thanks anyway willie.

why not a custom exhuast wtih borla mufflers?

I'd get it custom with Magnaflow with a 2.5" pipe.

Oh, and I edited the thread a bit ;)

tbomb, you have to stop leaving yourself cookied in on my computer, it's too tempting ;)

Love, HowLeTT.

Originally posted by tbomb
tbomb, you have to stop leaving yourself cookied in on my computer, it's too tempting ;)

Love, HowLeTT.

goddammit! log me out, heh.

alright, heh. Get the catback, Tbomb. Noise is your friend. You've seen my interior, so you know my thoughts on noise vs performance and efficiency.

Originally posted by HowLeTT
alright, heh. Get the catback, Tbomb. Noise is your friend. You've seen my interior, so you know my thoughts on noise vs performance and efficiency.

for reference, so everyone is on the same page. his interior consists of:

1 driver seat
1 driver side seatbelt
1 carbon fiber nitrous bottle

no panels, seats, carpet, consoles; he even scraped all the "sound deadening goop" off the floor, heh. um, its loud.

BORLA Custom setup

Originally posted by espnfreak
BORLA Custom setup

i like borlas a lot, but that would be too much for me.

Can someone clear this up.

I'm not looking for High performace/top speed.

More interested in the low power torque. but I need to be able to do well on the highway since it's my daily driver / only vehicle.

I love the look of dual-exhaust and noise is no problem, except for the police.

What cha all suggest. I've seached around and it seems like I should just stay stock.

Well, duals are definately tougher to get installed than a single, and the price is usually 200%. But a dual out muffler with 2.25" pipes will be good, or a single 2.5" out.

So I wouldn't be loosing anything with dual??

No, don't think so. If you want to be safe, go with dual 2" pipes. That won't be too large at all.

if you dont want the noise, I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket setup, its gonna be louder, and unless you have a lot of other mods that NEED high flow exhaust, that wont make a bit of difference either in your performance, it wouljd just cost more and be louder.

I say go with the stockers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by DarkFox1
and unless you have a lot of other mods that NEED high flow exhaust, that wont make a bit of difference either in your performance, it wouljd just cost more and be louder.

That is simply NOT true.

Back