Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CB radio power question

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by LONO100, June 7, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Tags:
  1. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    03 sport trac XLT
    hey all, ive searched pretty good, but i cant find an alternative on the forum to powering a CB radio without using a cigarette lighter. is there another source i can get power for a CB radio that will look clean without tapping into or using an adapter for the cigarette lighter?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
  4. LONO100

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    sorry gman, i forgot to mention not wiring to the battery directly either. i guess i should be more specific. for example, are there small battery packs that i could possibly use to power a CB radio, or if there are battery powered CB radios that i can hook up to an antenna? i have an 03 ST, and i was thinking of taking out the ash tray and mounting the radio there but having some sort of battery pack stuffed back there too, or if there were any battery powered radios with longer range than little hand radios. or if there was another place i havent thought about yet where i can draw power besides the lighter and battery directly? i would like to be able to remove the CB radio easily if possible without having a bunch of wire plugged into the lighter like an old discman. i want to make feeding a line to the battery a last option if there is some alternative available. i know these might seem like stupid questions, but i dont know shit about CB radios, but i would like to get one.

Last edited: June 7, 2011
  5. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South FL
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    Fuse tap. Your can buy a fuse tap that is a blade type that plugs directly into your fuse panel. It's like a Y adapter, it has a little section that goes onto the prong & allows connection of another wire device. The CB will plug into that. Or you can simple take the +12V wire & strip it, take a fuse out & wrap the wire around the fuse prong & stick it back into the fuse box. I usually use the 15 amp power mirror fuse. Then attach the - to a grounding screw. The CB should have it's own fuse so no worries about blowing anything.

6. LONO100

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    awesome! thanks, ive actually seen people do that for powering aux lighting and other gadgets in their rides, but i never really knew exactly how they were doing it. can i get one of these fuse taps at a radio shack? or do i need to go to a autozone?

7. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South FL
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    Either should have it.

8. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    There is the cobra CB that has a base unit that can be hidden under the seat, tapped into the power seat wires, and all the controls are on the mic.

Look at Lynhywa registry and you can see how he did it in his 3rd gen.

9. lynchy wa

lynchy wa Down Under Beer Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albany, Western Australia
    2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
    For handheld's have a look at the wouxun walky talky. 5 watt power for a hundred buck's and it can be unlocked across all frequencies up to 520 mgz. Cover's cb, vhf, uhf, fm. If you know the frequencies you should be able to pick up airport's, cops, firies, sea rescue and all sort's of other stuff check out the reviews on youtube for wouxun kg-uvd1p

10. LONO100

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    good looking out fellas, ill look into it tonight.