• Register Today It's free!

CD Changer Location?

Kerisseler

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Village, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I am getting a CD changer for my '97 Explorer and I don't want to install it in the center arm rest or in the cargo area. The only other place I can think of is under the back seat. But, will this let me fold them down if needed? Does anyone have sugestions where to locate it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A cd changer under the rear seat will certainly hinder putting the rear seat down. It might be possible to install a six disc changer if you cut out the carpet and padding and mount it directly to the floor. And additional clearance might be gained if you orient it between the rails of the seat so it can come down further. But be carefull not to mount it too close to the exhaust as the heat will make short order of it. Good luck

Why not mount under the dash? In my 1991 Explorer, I mounted a Clarion 6 disc changer there. I could not open the ash tray, but I am not a smoker so it didn't matter. Under the dash provides easy access. If you are like me, you will find that even with a changer you are constantly changing out cds, which is not a bad thing.

In my 98 Explorer, I have installed a 4 disc in-dash changer.

Thanks Kola, I haven't thought about under the dash. I will have to take a look to see if it fits.

changer location

I have a changer in my 97. I installed it in the cargo area, but I didn't bolt it down or use mounting brackets. I put two strips of velcro on the bottom. This way if I need to haul something, I can just move it or take it out all together. The velcro also allows you to mount it vertically or horizontally.

Eric

Re: changer location

I have a 94 Explorer and ran into the same problem about 4 years ago. I got an after-market CD Changer and didn't want to put it in the back or in the center console. The place that put it in said there wasn't room under the front seats but there was under the back seat. The only problem, you can guess, is there wasn't room to put the seats down. They solved that by mounting the CD changer with velcro. They didn't put in the mounting bracket or anything. They just ran the cable and used industrial strength velcro. I haven't had any problem with the CD changer moving or skipping. It is content to stay exactly where it's supposed to...but when I want to put the seats down, I just unplug it and pull it out. Couldn't be simpler. The only problem I've had is when I take the CD changer out, the end of the cable just sits there. I've had it get dirt and water inside the pins during one winter and had to replace it. (not cheap) I would fix that by either not taking it out in the winter for extended periods of time, or wrap the end of the cable in a plastic bag with a rubberband or something. Hope that helps.

Matt McGovern
1994 Black Explorer 4x4 4-door
Clarion CD Changer

Hey, thanks alot. The velcro is a great idea. I am having it installed this weekend and wanted some ideas before I dropped it off. We do a lot of camping and didn't want to give up hauling space for tunes.

just an afterthought....When mine was installed, they cut a small (1/2") slit in the carpet for the remote. The remote came through the carpet between the center console and the passenger seat. (I was big on not making it obvious that I had a CD changer in the car so it wouldn't be stolen) The remote is small enough that it just sits between the center console and the passenger seat completely out of view. When I use it, it easily sits in one of the cupholders.
With the remote out of view and the CD changer under the backseat (invisible if you're outside the car...I checked), there's no way anyone could know that you have a CD changer in your Explorer.

Matt McGovern
1994 Black Ford Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
Clarion CD changer

This may be too late to help you, but I just relocated the factory Ford (Clarion) 6 disk changer from the center console to the rear fender shell on the driver side inside the cargo compartment. I bolted it into the little area behind the removable panel that pops out, right above where the bottle jack sits.

This install took a little creative surgery:

1. Relocated the door lock switch from the top of the fender shell to the back of the shell right below where the tonneu cover connects.

2. Had to get the longer Visteon cable to replace the one from the head unit to the center console.

3. Fabricate brackets from galvanized strapping for 3 mounting points, and had to insulate them a little to isolate vibrations.

4. Cut a rectangular hole in the top of the fender shell big enough for the changer slide door to be accessed from the top.

5. Took a little work to dress the cables uder the door thresholds, and get them zip tied into the cable trays along with the other wires already there.

The most time consuming part of this installation was probably fabricating the brackets, which was easy but took some trial and error. The harness was totally plug and play, and the only soldering I had to do was to splice in an extension to the door lock switch so I could relocate it. Cutting the hole in the top fo the fender shell was a little scary, but after I triple checked my measurements, it was no big deal.

Now I have a changer that is properly mounted and out of the way, yet still totally accessable. I like the fact that I can now stand outside the cargo area with the hatch up, and have lots of room to have my cases open when I am changing CD's. I also like that the changer is out of harms way and not flopping around, and I can still fold my seats down. BEST OF ALL, I have all that room back in the center console clamshell to collect broken pens, packs of stale gum, empty disposalbe lighters, and other such treasures.

I am planning on fabricating a cover of some kind to cover up the changer, but this is more for cosmetic reasons, and to make it less visible to potential theives, not because it needs any additional protection.

I did this for my factory changer, but you could certainly do the same for an aftermarket RF changer, or any hardwired unit with a long enough cable.

Hope this helps. Drop me a note if you want more info.

Good luck and good tunes,

Blaupunkt makes a 5 disc in-dash changer that goes with any of their CD Changer controlling Receivers. Fits in DD Size dash opening. Best of both worlds, multi disc, easy change.

This may be too late to help you, but I just relocated the factory Ford (Clarion) 6 disk changer from the center console to the rear fender shell on the driver side inside the cargo compartment. I bolted it into the little area behind the removable panel that pops out, right above where the bottle jack sits.

This install took a little creative surgery:

1. Relocated the door lock switch from the top of the fender shell to the back of the shell right below where the tonneu cover connects.

2. Had to get the longer Visteon cable to replace the one from the head unit to the center console.

3. Fabricate brackets from galvanized strapping for 3 mounting points, and had to insulate them a little to isolate vibrations.

4. Cut a rectangular hole in the top of the fender shell big enough for the changer slide door to be accessed from the top.

5. Took a little work to dress the cables uder the door thresholds, and get them zip tied into the cable trays along with the other wires already there.

The most time consuming part of this installation was probably fabricating the brackets, which was easy but took some trial and error. The harness was totally plug and play, and the only soldering I had to do was to splice in an extension to the door lock switch so I could relocate it. Cutting the hole in the top fo the fender shell was a little scary, but after I triple checked my measurements, it was no big deal.

Now I have a changer that is properly mounted and out of the way, yet still totally accessable. I like the fact that I can now stand outside the cargo area with the hatch up, and have lots of room to have my cases open when I am changing CD's. I also like that the changer is out of harms way and not flopping around, and I can still fold my seats down. BEST OF ALL, I have all that room back in the center console clamshell to collect broken pens, packs of stale gum, empty disposalbe lighters, and other such treasures.

I am planning on fabricating a cover of some kind to cover up the changer, but this is more for cosmetic reasons, and to make it less visible to potential theives, not because it needs any additional protection.

I did this for my factory changer, but you could certainly do the same for an aftermarket RF changer, or any hardwired unit with a long enough cable.

Hope this helps. Drop me a note if you want more info.

Good luck and good tunes,
Hi crash513, where can i get the above mentioned visteon extension cable, please?

Back