Choices... Fix the 98/Buy the 03

rewind1

Collector of Broken Fords
Reaction score
City, State
New Haven, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mounty/03 Eddie/02 XLT
I am the proud owner of a 1998 Mountaineer (despite its issues). I have recently been considering purchasing a newer 4th Gen X but gave up because
I decided I was going to fix all the problems with my Mounty. Today I came across a seemingly great deal on an 03 Eddie and Now I have a problem...

Do I fix the Mounty or buy the Eddie.

All Details That I Know:
1998 Mountaineer
**5.0 with 156k mi, mach audio, think everything else is std features**
--Starts up every day and gets me where I'm going but has issues which I believe are mostly just annoyances.
--Some lighting is out in the interior (Fog and Defrost switch bulbs, 1 of the Speedo bulbs and my left cruise switch bulb)
--Intermittent Rattling noise (believe is a spark plug wire heatshield)
--Clicking noise when rolling (research tells me T-Case oil or new T-Case)
--1 weak (but working) Power Window motor
--Rear window washer fluid doesn't come out
--Physical damage (need to replace front bumper and patch small hole in rear qtr inside the door frame)
All to be fixed over time (I planned on about 3 months). I dont care about my time, just the $ amt for parts.

2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition
**4.6 with 194k mi, climate control, third row, prem sound, and dual memory seat**
Have not taken for a test drive yet. I am concerned with the fact that it has such high mileage but it did seem to be in great shape visually both inside and out. Only issue i saw was a small tear on the side of the drivers seat which I believe is a common issue with 3rd gen Xs since i've seen this with my moms 04 XLT Sport after only 40k miles. I am interested in this X because it seems to be priced well below the blue book val.
KBB is showing me about $7k and there was a price listed on this for $5995 but speaking with the guy briefly I was told that we "could do it for $5k or something".

If I were to buy it, I would def keep the mounty but hold off on the repairs.
Is there anything I should be concerned with in an X with 194k on it.
Would I be better off throwing money at fixing the mounty or buying this second X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

02 was the first year, but were the first years crappy? i personally haven't heard any issues versus 04 - 05 3rd gens. whats the differences? p.s. the marauder's a beaut

any more suggestions?

All I can tell you is that I love my 03.

IMO, the only reason to buy that particular third gen is for the additional creature comforts and better ride it has over the '98 you own. I don't think the third gens are as dependable as the first two. Third gens have transmission issues, wheel bearing and differential problems. If all these have been taken care of on the one you are looking to buy then it might be a good deal. If they haven't and these are things you will have to deal with, then you might wish you had put the money toward fixing up the '98.

Yup, I concur. The 98 should be repaired. You could fix it up like new for less than you'd be getting yourself into on the higher mileage 03 IMO. The way I see it is your 98 is actually about 2 years younger than the 03, in terms of usage. That 03 has seen some things you haven't. ;)

well that 03 is gone, now theres another. Same model/features but with 165k miles and for $3800.

its cheap becuase apparently a shock(s) need to be replaced and ac is broken. most likely cheap repairs. im going to look at today. while it needs some minor work, it is going for about half of book value. what yall think.

I appreciate the advice from everyone. I have taken into consideration the 3rd gen issues that were mentioned and plan to restore the 98 mounty soon.

But for now, I bought the 2003 Eddie and she is beautiful. The seller was the second own and all of the service records or most of them were on hand, all major repairs were taken care of by ford and it has been taken in regularly for maintenance.

I will post some pictures soon.

Back