• Register Today It's free!

Concerned newbie

Xion

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 mercury mountaineer
Hi, im from ma, I have an 04 mountaineer that I love to death. It's rust free, pretty and rides great. Only problem is, it has a knock sound under around 1300rpm. No metal in the oil, it does not go away if you disconnect any of the plugs, but above 1300 rpm it's gone, only at idle speeds. Oil pressure is perfect. Runs so smooth and quiet I forget it's running some times if not for that annoying knock! What could it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, im from ma, I have an 04 mountaineer that I love to death. It's rust free, pretty and rides great. Only problem is, it has a knock sound under around 1300rpm. No metal in the oil, it does not go away if you disconnect any of the plugs, but above 1300 rpm it's gone, only at idle speeds. Oil pressure is perfect. Runs so smooth and quiet I forget it's running some times if not for that annoying knock! What could it be?

How loud? Aggravating or sounds dangerous? Like a hammer pounding on an anvil? Or, maybe something happening in the power steering hydraulic circuit?

Any trouble codes "thrown"? imp

How loud? Aggravating or sounds dangerous? Like a hammer pounding on an anvil? Or, maybe something happening in the power steering hydraulic circuit?

Any trouble codes "thrown"? imp

Is not overly loud, it has brevet gotten worse, but it sounds like knocking, and line I said it goes away after 1300 or so.

Sounds exactly like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agIvQbcIqgw no codes, no signs of anything really dangerous, I run it on the highway a lot and never have am issue, the only time you hear it is at idle or stopped.

Yes mine does it too and has probably since 75,000 miles ago. I have seen other threads and comments about this that say although the sound is annoying and sounds horrible that it is not terminal. It's apparently in torque converter and if you notice like mine does that once about 20 mph that noise goes away totally. Just at idle and low speeds. Search for the torque converter noise and also search for noise of marbles in can and you will find comments.

Yes mine does it too and has probably since 75,000 miles ago. I have seen other threads and comments about this that say although the sound is annoying and sounds horrible that it is not terminal. It's apparently in torque converter and if you notice like mine does that once about 20 mph that noise goes away totally. Just at idle and low speeds. Search for the torque converter noise and also search for noise of marbles in can and you will find comments.

Add long as it's nothing serious... I love this truck so much, I keep it nicer than a lot of new card i'v seen really. Oh well, once the transmission goes, I'll replace it and than no more noise lol. Thanks so much!

Back