• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak on 4.0L

eldoj

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer
I noticed this weekend that I have a small coolant leak on my '06 4.0L.

Can anyone tell me what this is that its leaking out of?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30293733@N00/6022105998/in/photostream

Looks like the thermostat is just to the right of the arrow, but the leak seems to be out of the bottom of the piece that the arrow is pointing to, you can see a green puddle to the left of the arrow.

Is this just a bad gasket? Hard to change? Any tips?

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably need the entire thermostat housing assy. They are known to leak, there is a seal between the thermostat hales and a seal to the head you should replace also while replacing the housing.

coolant leak

yea thats a thermostat housing Oreileys has it the one that is normally cracked on this model is the lower thermostat assembly it ran me $45 with my military discount o by the way go ahead and buy a package of o rings b/c when you pull the temp senser off and put it on the new lower thermostat assebly its gonna leak. its also best to go ahead and purchas the thermostat and gaskit just in case their worn out.

good luck and god speed:usa:

Where is the best place to get these parts?
Will my local autoparts store (Autozone,Oreilly's, Advanced Auto)have them or do I need to go elsewhere?

Thanks

When we got ours I put in the motorcraft part #'s for the top and bottom parts of the housing and the o-ring into amazon.com and found them there. I got them faster and cheaper than I could in town.

If your an amazon prime member, its a great place to shop. My next favorite is rockauto and they sometimes have the parts when amazon doesn't. The "prime" free shipping is why I use amazon so much.. otherwise it would be rockauto 1st.

~Mark

Can I double check my part numbers anywhere?
All I have to go on is the write up, further up in the thread, but my intake looks a little different than the one pictured.
2006 4.0L

+1 Amazon. The kicker for me is the free S/S shipping and no sales tax for Hawaii.
Hardest thing for me to do is order just my Motorcraft parts. Awesome pricing. LOL

Use fordparts.com with your VIN, or RockAuto for reference, usually more accurate than Amazon. GL

Parts ordered.
Thanks for all the help.

I got the housing all changed out, thanks for everyones help.

Back