Coolant temp jump during freeway drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant temp jump during freeway drive

StricklandUSN

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT V6 FLEX
I was driving to work this morning and i noticed a check gauge light soon as i seen the light i looked to my temp gauge and it was on hot immediatly after it went back to just below the middle point and the light went off i dint change my speed or adjust it was very quick after i got to work i opened the hood and around the coolant tank it was slightly wet like it was leaking out the level as soon as i stopped the car was a hair below the bottom line where it says cold level I was in my dress whites uniform so i could not investigate any further without ruining my uniform lol any suggestions?

I was driving to work this morning and i noticed a check gauge light soon as i seen the light i looked to my temp gauge and it was on hot immediatly after it went back to just below the middle point and the light went off i dint change my speed or adjust it was very quick after i got to work i opened the hood and around the coolant tank it was slightly wet like it was leaking out the level as soon as i stopped the car was a hair below the bottom line where it says cold level I was in my dress whites uniform so i could not investigate any further without ruining my uniform lol any suggestions?

It sounds like the engine overheated since you found coolant spilled around the Expansion tank, fender area. Your thermostat may have stuck closed(blocking the flow of coolant) during your drive causing an over heating condition. Before you leave work today, make sure you check the coolant level in the Expansion tank and top it off to the full mark before you drive home. Don't want to drive it when under filled on coolant. Keep an eye on the temp gauge and if it gets hot or you get a warning light, pull over and shut it off. Changing the t-stat and rubber o-ring is an easy fix and there are repair posts in the forum archives for that.

Sorry forgot my specs its a 2004 xlt v6 flex fuel with 107,000 miles

Sorry forgot my specs its a 2004 xlt v6 flex fuel with 107,000 miles

No problem, I saw them under your screen name after the fact and removed that reminder from my post.

Back