Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Couple issues with 2001 Explorer XLS

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Hybu, July 12, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Hybu

Hybu New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Explorer XLS
      Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Just recently my power windows have stopped working, i've checked all the fuses but nothing seems to be blown. The led that light up the window switches stopped working AND the HUD on the dash also doesnt work (I.e odometer/trip thing) Power locks work fine though.

Second, the vent airflow isnt working correctly, I only get airflow from the defroster and the floor vents, nothing from the face vents.

Any and all help is appreciated :]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. arco777

arco777 Elite Explorer

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
      I'm not real familiar with 2nd gens, so this will be a bit vague. Sounds like a wiring issue... check both the inner fuse box and the one under the hood. Double check the fuses with a multimeter set on the "check continuity" mode (usually will beep if continuity is good) or use the resistance measurement mode to check that the fuses don't have infinite resistance (blown). You can check at the tops of all the fuses without even pulling them out of the box. if the fuses aren't blown, check related relays. If the relay part numbers match you can swap them around and see what happens. You can also get a wiring diagram from a Chilton's/Haynes book and trace the circuits and wires to see what's getting power and what's not.

For the vent thing, again I am not familiar with second gens but do a search on the forum for Blend Door Fix. Maybe that is the issue you are having, as it is a very common one.