No air in front vents

Tim Foster

Reaction score
City, State
New Oxford, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hi all,

I have an '02 Explorer that is not pushing any air out of the front or floor vents. When I turn the knob to circulate the air from different places (floor, vent, defrost, etc.), all I get is strong air flow from the dash area (defroster?).

Since I'm getting dashboard airflow, it seems that the blower motor is working fine. But why can't I get the air to come out of the front or floor vents?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What happens when you turn on your heat?

Possibly a broken vacuum hose under the hood. It is a small hose right at the passenger side firewall inside the engine compartment. There is a soft rubber boot through the firewall that has hard plastic lines running into it. One line goes across to the drivers side of the engine compartment and one goes to a different valve on a metal A/C line, follow the line that goes across to the drivers side to the rubber boot. Check for any breaks or irregularities. Also, if you open your Glove compartment, and look to the back where it snaps in on both sides. Push or pull these tabs inwards so your glove compartment comes unhinged and swings downward. Stick you head in and while engine is running and your air is blowing turn your selector knob. Watch for your moving parts, should be a wire that moves. That is the part that deflects your air to your other outlets. There may be something broken, if so, reach in and try to articulate the door manually. Some people drill and use bailing wire as a quick fix to this problem. You may have to search inside your dash for a vacuum leak. If you find a vacuum leak i'd suggest using a rubber hose as a patch. Take a small length of about an inch and a half. Cut it down the length so it fits over the vacuum hose and us an adhesive to attach it.

Possibly a broken vacuum hose under the hood. It is a small hose right at the passenger side firewall inside the engine compartment. There is a soft rubber boot through the firewall that has hard plastic lines running into it. One line goes across to the drivers side of the engine compartment and one goes to a different valve on a metal A/C line, follow the line that goes across to the drivers side to the rubber boot. Check for any breaks or irregularities. Also, if you open your Glove compartment, and look to the back where it snaps in on both sides. Push or pull these tabs inwards so your glove compartment comes unhinged and swings downward. Stick you head in and while engine is running and your air is blowing turn your selector knob. Watch for your moving parts, should be a wire that moves. That is the part that deflects your air to your other outlets. There may be something broken, if so, reach in and try to articulate the door manually. Some people drill and use bailing wire as a quick fix to this problem. You may have to search inside your dash for a vacuum leak. If you find a vacuum leak i'd suggest using a rubber hose as a patch. Take a small length of about an inch and a half. Cut it down the length so it fits over the vacuum hose and us an adhesive to attach it.

Thank you very much. I'll give these things a try and post the outcome.

I'm having trouble finding the lines going through the firewall. I've taken some pics but can't figure out how to attach them?

I guess I need help with more than my truck. :confused2:

Update:

The blower motor works fine, as I suspected. The cylinders with diaphragms that re-direct the air flow (not sure of the name (solenoid???)) behind the glove compartment are not being activated, so this seems to confirm the vacuum leak. When I manually move the shaft into the diaphragm, the vents work.

I'm having some trouble finding the line that is the likely culprit. Are there any links/pics that might help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Back