Couple pics of my lowered 2wd sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Couple pics of my lowered 2wd sport

jimster502, have you considered the Monroe 58617 load adjusting shocks? They will lift the rear a minimum of 1" and may prevent bottoming. Search the forum, MANY have used them with great results. May be an easy and quick solution for less than $80 per pair.

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58617-Sensa-Trac-Adjusting-Absorber/dp/B000C53RXK

So with my 3 inch rear drop, the shocks will lift it an inch? I just remembered I wasn't able to remove the rear left bump stop due to so much lines being in the way...maybe that's why it bottoms out frequently. I'll remove it today and see if it bottoms out as much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump stops definitely come into play, especially after a 3" drop. How much clearance do you have on the rear and front? Another method to chalk the top of the bump stops and check for witness marks on the axle. Some have even cut them or installed low profile polyurethane bump stops made by Energy Suspension, Prothane, or Daystar. Read post #3 linked below. His ST's four leaf packs were almost completely flattened and the Monroe 58617 completely solved his rear bottoming, even with 5 grown people in the cab.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1341046&SUB=1341052

Bump stops only come into play If they make contact. They are more necessary on a stock or lifted truck than on something lowered. The main purpose is to keep the tires from getting into the fenders or other components. I personally want my truck to squat when I launch for weight transfer and traction. If mine makes contact after changing things around I'll end up c notching the rear frame rather than installing stiffer shocks or springs

^ Agree Twisted, and it sounds like he is making contact.
I'm tired of having my rear axle maxing out and hitting the frame, especially when I have more than a 1/4 tank of gas :/

Check your tail pipe! Chances are your pinching that and not your frame. I just had to remove my tail pipe and changed it to a 3" turndown in front of my axle because there is no extra room above my axle anymore

My set up
20150726_170613.jpg

Bump stops definitely come into play, especially after a 3" drop. How much clearance do you have on the rear and front? Another method to chalk the top of the bump stops and check for witness marks on the axle. Some have even cut them or installed low profile polyurethane bump stops made by Energy Suspension, Prothane, or Daystar. Read post #3 linked below. His ST's four leaf packs were almost completely flattened and the Monroe 58617 completely solved his rear bottoming, even with 5 grown people in the cab.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1341046&SUB=1341052

I don't remember exactly how much space I have on the back nor front, but the front I've never had a problem besides rubbing my inner fender cover on the drivers side. If I can haul people around with those shocks, then damn, I'll purchase those at the same time I purchase the camber bolts

Check your tail pipe! Chances are your pinching that and not your frame. I just had to remove my tail pipe and changed it to a 3" turndown in front of my axle because there is no extra room above my axle anymore

Well my exhaust is fine. I have no tail pipe. It goes from cats to a y pipe to the muffler and then it's just dumped. I removed it since the guy that welded my muffler just added the stock 2.25" pipe to my 2.5" inlet/outlet muffler and well that just pretty much bottle necked it

You get anywhere with the wheels yet Twisted1?

Wheels

I haven't had a chance to do anything but put the wheels and slicks away for the season. I was focusing on getting the engine where I wanted it and dyno tuned. (Hit the exact HP I was shooting for) and then the next day I had the notorious timing guide failure. So I somewhat put that truck on the back burner and moved on to a couple other projects until it's revamping over winter. It still runs and drives but who knows how long before it drops a chain?

My daughter just started back to school also and I think the school has gotten more of my build budget lately than any of my projects. Lol. The explorer is getting to a point that the police aren't thrilled with it being driven daily. I have been stopped in it 3 times last week alone for vehicle modification issues so I had to go buy a new daily driver. My fleet of 2 door Ford SUV's is pictured below. I may have an obsetion!?
20150906_183141.jpg

20150906_183324.jpg

Back