Lowered Mountaineer...Opinions?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowered Mountaineer...Opinions??

Well if the selling yard is truthful, this should be a 49k 98 model for $225 shipped. We'll see, I may buy a new shift motor to replace the ten year old unit. Hunt around, finding the TOD electric shift model is much harder than the manual shift BW4406's. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well here are the final pictures guys. I ended up getting the lowered Edelbrock IAS shocks from EE and it did lower my vehicle a "little". I think that the Bilsteins not being for lowered vehicles caused them to stiffen up more when compressed "from being lowered" which is why I was able to get it a hair lower with the Edelbrocks. When I was testing the stuff I had and had the Bilsteins on and the 2" drop blocks in the rear, I was hardly able to get my rear end to move while jumping on the bumper. It was stiff due to the shocks being compressed and not made for lowering. I took it for a drive and hit some speed bumps and man was it horrible. That's when I knew it was time to get some shocks for lowered applications. I also got my alignment done and so far I'm actually REALLY pleased and happy with the Edelbrock shocks. I've had the Bilsteins on for months now and the Edelbrocks now for about a week and honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between the two...both shocks work and feel great. Everyone uses their vehicles for different things and I feel that if you are lowered then get a shock that's made for lowered applications, there's a reason they make them and change the valving. No shock lasts forever and when the time comes for the IAS's to be replaced...well that's what the lifetime warranty is for. I now have the complete EE X-Spec kit and it's a night and day difference it handling, I love it. Well I just took these today, what do you guys think...

Lowered Edelbrock IAS shocks from EE:
418.jpg

516.jpg

Final Pics:
1210.jpg

1110.jpg

86.jpg

226.jpg

IMG_1304.JPG

I had the EXACT setup back in 2004. Now I am 12" higher

125582k1wheels3122.jpg

Very nice Mike, well done. Which 8.8 cover is that, I'm looking at the 05+ Ford Racing cover? My rear is a little lower than yours, maybe the front also, but I have 30" tires. I need to do my suspension overall, before deciding if the Bilsteins are any different. Regards,

Very nice Mike, well done. Which 8.8 cover is that, I'm looking at the 05+ Ford Racing cover? My rear is a little lower than yours, maybe the front also, but I have 30" tires. I need to do my suspension overall, before deciding if the Bilsteins are any different. Regards,

Thanks Don...the Ford Racing cover I have is the M-4033-G1. I believe your looking at the M-4033-G2 cover. Exact same cover other than how the Ford Racing logo is written out.

Here's a better picture of it when i had the Bilsteins on:

I also have 30" tires but for some reason that's the lowest my rear will go with the EE drop blocks. The front kind of looks a little lower if you look at the gap in the fender wells but really the front is almost the same as the rear from fenders to ground. I think my springs are just really stiff. I thought about looking for some 2" drop blocks for the rear to get it a little lower but I don't want to use cheap AutoZone blocks or know where to find a high quality drop blocks like the EE that will fit perfectly.

Yes I think that your rear springs are relatively stiff, like OEM 4x4 Explorer leafs. Mine have always been rather soft.

FYI, Steeda makes some good drop blocks I've read, with quality u-bolts. The EE bolts are the proper size, most are too small for our rear housings.

The 05+ axle cover I liked for that logo script, plus it is evidently svelte enough to fit more vehicles. I'm thinking of having Jon coat it with some shade of a transparent color, like polished valve covers.

It's freaky how much Mike's Mounty looks like Jon's Mounty.

Awesome!
How do you like the ride quality with the IAS shocks?

They are awsome! Honestly, I can't tell between them and the Bilsteins, it handles bumps really good and corners like no other. I'm not that good at testing stuff though...it all feels the same to me. :thumbsup:

Back