Diff Backlash and Pinion Preload. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diff Backlash and Pinion Preload.

Snide3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I have 2004 Explorer XLT with 3.55 gears. I have been looking all over this forum for the backlash and preload settings, but finding nothing. If any one can help with the specific specs, I would greatly appreciate it. I am replacing all the bearings, races and seals. Basically rebuilding the differential. I want to make sure I have everything set right so I don't have to do this again for a while another 100K. I appreciate any help provided.

I am guessing rear diff, but here goes

From 03 workshop manual, rear
Backlash 0.010-0.012in
Case run-out 0.003in
Pinion preload 8-14 IN-LB used brgs
Pinion preload 16-29 IN-LB new brgs
Carrier must be removed for pinion preload
Maximum carrier spread 0.030in
Fluid spec 75-140*

Notes:

-make sure you add shims for carrier preload as well!
-i have seen varying opinions on fluid level. Factory manual from 03 states 6-14mm BELOW bottom of fill hole. However, the 04 shop manual states IVD equipped (Advance Trac), fill spec is up to fill hole, then add a pint through the speed sensor hole cover.
-i hope you got the redesigned seals for the axle shafts. Make sure you remove the excluder seals from the axleshafts if you did or you will ruin the new $$ seals! They run about 30-40/each. From what I can see, the seal has been superseded from 5L2Z-4B416-BA to 7L1Z-4A109-D.
-A shaft repair sleeve for the companion flange is a good idea as more than likely you have a groove from the seal. Last one I got was about $12 National brand.
-Loctite instant gasket or SI 5900 works great to reseal diff and you don't have to wait to fill with oil like most other RTV sealants

I am curious whose bearing kit and ring and pinion you are using... Timken carrier bearings or Koyo?

Back