Does OEM Drain Plug Use A Nylon Washer on the O-Ring Style Plug/Bolt ? ? ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does OEM Drain Plug Use A Nylon Washer on the O-Ring Style Plug/Bolt ? ? ?

Fallguy007

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLS
Had to order a replacement oil drain plug (ordered OEM) for my 01 XLS 4.0l Explorer as the O-Ring had broken that is built into the drain plug bolt.

Too my surprise the replacement plug/bolt (with built in O-Ring as expected) also came with a nylon washer.

I bought the vehicle used and all the time I have been chaning the oil it was just the plug/bolt with the built in 0-Ring. No Nylon washer.

Is the Nylon washer part of the original setup or what ? ? ?

What purpose would the Nylon washer serve since their is an O-ring for sealing all ready built into the plug/bolt ? ? ?

Help/Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The original set up should have a rubber seal attached to the bolt, no nylon washer.

I don't think my plug even has the rubber o-ring, but i've had no leaks? is there anywhere I can get one?

Part number F6TZ 6730 BA is what was ordered for my 2001 SOHC 4.0l

This is a 14mm plug.

Next time you take your plug off look and see if the head is "dished" out where an O-Ring would have been.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the responces, I will dis-regard the nylon washer in the parts package and stick with only the built in O-Ring in the bolt unless I hear otherswise.

my first gen has a nylon washer but no o-ring, maybe they changed the design in 2nd gen, but used same size bolt? then they could stock one part for both vehicles

The earlier models did have a regular bolt with a nylon washer while the later ones had the bolt with the built in o-ring. I think some had just a bolt also with no nylon washer.

I don't remember anything like that on mine, the area that touches the oil pan is flat with no dishing or anything so I think Im ok. Plus its a 4.0 OHV and a 13mm bolt.

My 2000 is just a bolt.
No nylon, no rubber just metal on metal.

No leaks either. :)

funny. my '00 5.0 has the rubber o-ring inbedded bolt.

-B

Back