• Register Today It's free!

Drain plug bolt for 4.6

ROBinGa

Reaction score
City, State
Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
I have just started changing my own oil for 4.6 2003 XLT. Previously have had dealer or quick lubes do this oil change in past. Have discovered I can get Motorcraft 5w20 blend oil and real Mororcraft filter at Walmart for half of what lube shops charge for Valvoline stuff. So I looked at the oil drain plug bolt and there was no gasket or washer when I removed. So I cleaned off and tightened to refill. I notice there is slight dampness and weeping on oil pan there where drain is. Not leaking per se but is wet. Question is did our 4.6 drain plug come with a washer or gasket? I see a universal assorted kit sold by Advance when I search on their site. But did it come from factory with one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2003 4.6 thermostat and P0128

X

There is a rubber "o-ring" that fits in a groove on the 'washer like' portion of the bolt, just around the threaded portion.

After it's been used, it's compressed and will be prone to leaking.

I just put a new bolt in each time, as they come with new gaskets.

Thanks, are you saying you bought a supply of drain plug bolts and change out the entire bolt at each oil change? How expense are those?

$4 each or something. Dorman doesn't make just the rubber gasket. They do for the 4.0, just not the 4.6. Unless I have the two reversed.

097-146, I guess they do make one. Half the price of the bolt.

Thanks again guys, I found some pics of that Dorman gasket and also a Dorman plug that shows the gasket fitted in the groove at the head. Yeah I think that rubber part is gone on mine. I will get some gaskets and keep on hand for changes..

I have never heard of anyone replacing the drain plug bolts and/or gaskets on every oil change. Is this supposed to be standard practice? I have never done this on oil changes, and have had no leaks coming from the drain plug bolts.

The 4.6 and 4.0 both utilize a rubber gasket to seal the drain plug.
New, the gasket is thick enough to stick up above the bolt flange. Once removed after 3-5k miles it no longer does. So it no longer has the same sealing ability.

Back